organic gardening

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

organic gardening

Postby ndabezy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Buddies

im doing a project on CREATING A SUSTAINABLE CONTAINER FOR ORGANIC GARDENING FOR APARTMENT DWELLERS: due to high stats of proverty, increase of population, families earning low income its results to poverty. my task is to create a container where apartment dwellers can grow their own vegetables even though they have a limited space. if they growing veggies organic they will also save in buying fertilizers etc. at the moment im having difficulties on what to put on my INTRODUCTION

please buddies assist

Regards;

Ndabezy :)
ndabezy

Project Question: im a student doing BTech quality management, im struggling to get a topic can you please suggest few topics for me
Project Due Date: 10 september 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: organic gardening

Postby Terik Daly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am

Hi Ndabezy,

In the introduction of your paper, you want to set the stage for the problem you are going to tackle--why is it important to solve, define the problem, and, perhaps, give a teaser of your conclusion. The material you have in your post is all something that could be in an introduction. You might try expanding on those ideas to make them a full-length introduction.
All the best,
Terik
Terik Daly
Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby scibuddyAK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi Ndabezy,

Interesting project! I agree with Terik's advice regarding an introduction; it's definitely important to set up context well. I generally try to formulate the introduction using the "funnel technique." This means you start with the most general background information in the beginning, and you gradually "zoom in" or narrow down until you reach your primary, precise question or topic of investigation. For example, for your project, you could start by generally discussing the issues faced by apartment dwellers (perhaps even quote a statistic or two to make your point stronger, although don't overdo this). Then use a transition statement, along the lines of "One of the chief problems faced is ______, and it has been considered that a solution could be ________." Finally, hit upon the main point--your question or topic stated concisely and clearly. i.e. "Therefore, I chose to investigate _________; my question was ________."

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
scibuddyAK
scibuddyAK

Project Question: I'm registering because I'm interested in volunteering with the Ask an Expert program to help students with their science fair projects.
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby ndabezy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:55 am

Thank you so much Buddies, my other problem is the difference between the introduction and literature review of the study.
ndabezy

Project Question: im a student doing BTech quality management, im struggling to get a topic can you please suggest few topics for me
Project Due Date: 10 september 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby scibuddyAK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:37 am

Hi Ndabezy,

An introduction is usually more general and precedes your question, whereas a literature review is more technical and follows once you've already established your main project goal. Science Buddies has some great resources to guide you on writing up your project; see the following two links for more help:
1) http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml
2) http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... port.shtml

Hopefully this can clarify the difference for you. Let us know if you have more questions!

scibuddyAK
scibuddyAK

Project Question: I'm registering because I'm interested in volunteering with the Ask an Expert program to help students with their science fair projects.
Project Due Date: n/a

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences