Life Science

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: Life Science

Postby lety95 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am

Hi HeatherL,

Chelsey 95 and I would like to thank you for your help and new project ideas you have given us. We have desided to do our project on bioluminescense using Pyrocystis lunula. We believe this project will be easier to perform in a class setting, it will be cheaper, and it is less controversial than using stem cells.
lety95

Project Question: life science
Project Due Date: october 30, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby heatherL » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 am

Hi Lety95,

I'm glad to hear you have found something that works for you! Be sure to check out the suggestions in the "Make It Your Own" section if you want to try something a little different. You could also look at the effects of pH or temperature on the bioluminescence.

Please keep me posted on your progress!

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby chelsey95 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you so much for the help! We are going to proceed with the first project you suggested to us, the bioluminescent dinoflagellete project. We have changed it a little bit, though. Our question is: Is there a way to make dinoflagelette release a bioluminescent light without subjecting it to physical pressure? We are thinking of placing loud music near the dinoflagelette and seeing if they will glow because of the musical vibrations.
chelsey95

Project Question: Life Science
Project Due Date: October 30, 2012

Postby heatherL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi Chelsey95,

What an interesting variation! Keep in mind that sound waves do cause physical pressure, just not in the same way that vigorous shaking does. Did you know that the way we hear is through mechanoreception (pressure movements)? We have hair cells in our ears that bend with the pressure of the sound waves. I just want to make sure that you understand that you are causing a different kind of physical pressure with the sound waves, but still physical pressure. Will it be enough to make the dinoflagellates luminesce? I guess you'll have to see! :mrgreen:

Heather
heatherL

Postby chelsey95 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:40 am

Ok, we are thinking of ways to modify our project to where we do not use any type of physical pressure. Do you have any suggestions?
chelsey95

Postby heatherL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 am

Hi Chelsey95,

I think your best bet would be to look at variations in bioluminescence with changes in pH (relevant to ocean acidification due to climate change) and/or temperature. You can try seeing if these changes alone induce bioluminescence, but you may find that you will still need to apply physical pressure. Even if you do need to shake the culture to get the bioluminescence, looking at changes in pH and/or temperature of the water is something you can relate to climate change and how it might affect the organisms living in the ocean.

I hope that helps.

Heather
heatherL

Postby chelsey95 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 am

Thank you very much HeatherL! That helps so much!!!
chelsey95

Postby heatherL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Wonderful! Please let me know how it goes, and post again if you need help with your experimental design.
heatherL

Previous

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences