Bacteria killing bacteria

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Bacteria killing bacteria

Postby brandyLC44 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 am

My partner and I want to do a project on a type of bacteria killing another type of bacteria. We need to make it our own and it needs to be useful to the human kind. Is there a project we can do where we have some sort of bacteria on us that we could kill or that could be harmful to us with an open cut?
brandyLC44

Project Question: What is the best method to study animal behavior?
Project Due Date: October 30th 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Bacteria killing bacteria

Postby MelissaB » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:25 am

Hi,

Here's some great information about microorganisms and safety: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... fety.shtml . The short version is no, you do NOT want to place harmful (or even helpful) bacteria on yourself. Even helpful bacteria can be dangerous in large quantities. You will need to do your project in a lab with the help of a teacher. Have you talked to your science teacher about your idea?
MelissaB

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences