Beta-Amyloid Proteins

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Beta-Amyloid Proteins

Postby Meli1795 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:20 pm

My partner and I have decided to changed our project and focus on beta-amyloid proteins instead. We want to know if other organisms, besides humans, contain these proteins?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Meli1795

Project Question: Can a person be genetically tested for Alzheimer's disease?
Project Due Date: January 18
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Beta-Amyloid Proteins

Postby heatherL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi Meli1795,

This is an interesting and relevant project focus, especially given the relationship between beta-amyloid proteins and Alzheimer's disease.

The Wikipedia article regarding beta-amyloid proteins has a plethora of resources listed in the bibliography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_amyloid

It appears that beta-amyloids have been found in other animals.
Here is an article looking at beta-amyloid precursors in hamster brains: http://www.pnas.org/content/85/24/9811.full.pdf

You may need to do some more research to see what other animals express these kinds of proteins.

I hope this helps you get started.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Beta-Amyloid Proteins

Postby mbadtke » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 am

Great idea for a project. In fact the amyloid fold has been found in many other species. Things like spiders silk and fish eggs use this fold to help stabilize protein structures they are making. Even many bacteria make amyloid fibers to help them attach to surfaces. Let me know if you have further questions about your project.
mbadtke
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences