Factos that Affect Roundup Weed killer

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Factos that Affect Roundup Weed killer

Postby heytin45 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi,
My topic is on determing how the dose and method of application affect the activity of glyphosate. I have already bought all the materials i need, so now im struggling with my background information. I can't find classic/current experiments based on this project.

[Moderator added: URL for project: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p038.shtml ]
heytin45

Project Question: Weeds be gone! Experiment with factors that affect the Roundup Weed Killer
Project Due Date: Not sure of the exact date.
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Factos that Affect Roundup Weed killer

Postby heatherL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi heytin45,

I am assuming that you have already looked at the references in the Bibliography of the project you chose: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... background. I have found that one of the best ways to find classic studies is to look in the References Cited section of journal articles I have on the topic, and to look at the bibliography of relevant Wikipedia pages. (Wikipedia on its own is not always the most reliable source, but most pages have really good references in the bibliography.)

Here is the Wikipedia page on glyphosate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate. Check out the bibliography, which should go a long way toward starting you on your background research.

I hope that helps. Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions!

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Factors that Affect Roundup Weed killer

Postby heytin45 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:02 am

Thank you for your response, I looked at the article about glyphosate under wikipedia. There sure is a lot of references :o

Could you also help me determine the dependent and independent variables for this project too? Since I am experimenting two parts: 1- the concentration of glyphosate and 2- the minimum area that is treated for the plants to die, does that mean I will be needing 2 independent and dependent variables?

This is what I think. For the first part, the dependent variable is the plants that are treated with glyphosate and the independent variable is the measurement of the concentration of glyphosate. For the second part, the dependent variable is the minimum area that needs to be treated for the plants to die and the independent variable will be the measurement of the coverage of leaves that should be sprayed with 100% roundup. I could be wrong, though.
heytin45

Project Question: Weeds be gone! Experiment with factors that affect the Roundup Weed Killer

Postby heatherL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:37 am

Hi heytin45,

Here is some background information to help you determine your dependent and independent variables: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... bles.shtml

In any project, the independent variable is the one that you (the scientist) change. The dependent variable is the one that changes in response to the independent variable (it is dependent on the other variable). The dependent variable is usually the thing that you measure.

Now let's examine your particular project. In part 1, you change the concentration of glyphosate (independent variable), and you measure the health of the plants (dependent variable). In part 2, you change the area treated with glyphosate (independent variable), and once again you measure the health of the plants (dependent variable).

I hope that helps. Take a look at the link above and my explanation, and let me know if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Postby heytin45 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:07 am

Hi Heather,

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense now!
heytin45

Postby Jacobie09 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:07 pm

This is confusing...
The subject I hate is the subject I love: Math
Jacobie09

Project Question: Not applicable: I do random projects all the time just for fun (although I turn in all my results)
Project Due Date: Not applicable

Postby heytin45 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:24 am

Hi,
I already started my experiment and all of the plants have been treated with roundup except my control group,which only has water. now I am in the process of observing/collecting data. At the moment they are dying...this may sound obsured but should i water the all the plants daily even though i sprayed roundup on them?
heytin45

Postby heatherL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi heytin45,

I'm glad to hear your project is under way! Yes, you will want to treat all of the plants equally (the same as the control plants), except for the different Roundup treatments. That means you should continue to water them regularly, even if they appear to be dying. You want to be sure that the plants are dying because of the Roundup and not because you stopped watering them.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Pmaeda » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 pm

i am doing the same experiment but am not sure what to graph. I had 15 plants in 5 groups of 3 plants each. 3 plants had 100% coverage with glyphosate, 3 had 100% water, 3 had one leaf treated with glyphosate, 3 had 25% of
their leafs treated with glyphosate and 3 had 50% pf
their leafs treated. I want to graph the minimum amount of gluphosate that was needed to kill the plant.What would be the x and y axis?
Pmaeda

Project Question: My child wants to do a science fair project combining corrosion and a home made wind tunnel
Project Due Date: June 2012

Postby heatherL » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi Pmaeda,

Typically, the x axis is the independent variable (what you changed) and the y axis is the dependent variable (what you measured). Did you measure plant survival? If so, you could graph treatment (amount of glyphosate added) on the x axis and % survival on the y axis. Does that make sense for your data?

Heather
heatherL

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences