How do I make a hypothesis for my project in specific???

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

How do I make a hypothesis for my project in specific???

Postby Jhernandz218 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 am

So this is the project I'm doing:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p012.shtml

It's called: Investigating Native Plant Evolution with chloroplast sequencing

And I just don't see how a hypothesis can be made for this specific project, because I'm not trying to prove anything I'm trying to find plants that are related to a Native one. :?:

PLEASE HELP! Its due tomorrow!
Jhernandz218

Project Question: Biology dealing with the evolutionary relationship between a native plant and other species.
Project Due Date: November 25, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: How do I make a hypothesis for my project in specific???

Postby donnahardy2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi,

This is a really great and challenging project! You will learn a lot in doing it. Please review the protocol and make sure you will have all of the equipment that you need to complete the project. This project is best done in a molecular biology laboratory because it is so easy to contaminate the DNA. You also need time to repeat the project at least one time because it's a very long and involved procedure and you won't know until the last step if your experiment is successful.

However, I do understand your concern about the hypothesis. This project is really part of a much larger comprehensive project investigating the relationship between plants. It's not really a traditional science fair project with a controlled experiment with one independent variable and dependent variables that can be measured. However, it is very worthwhile doing.

Here is the information from the Science Buddies website on developing your hypothesis.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... tml#sample

I recommend that you adapt the assignment that is due tomorrow to show your teacher that you understand the concept. The purpose of this project is to determine the relationship of native plants with other species. So your hypothesis could be that you predict that you will find a relationship between whatever native plant you are testing and that you predict there will be a relationship with other plants. You might even say that you think the plant you are investigating will be more closely related to plant "X" compared to plant "Y."

You should also discuss your project with your teacher to make sure it meets the requirements for the class assignment.

What plant are you planning to analyze?

Please post again in this thread if you have any questions as you proceed with this project.

Good luck!

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences