Lima Bean Plants: A study on the best growth condition

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Lima Bean Plants: A study on the best growth condition

Postby TheScienceJerk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 am

I'd like to do a science project on here that is fully laid out for me but the other day my dad told me that I should come up with my own so that I will have a better project and have a better chance of winning. Plus he said I'd learn more. Unfortunately I can't think of any questions to ask that I can answer in my project. Therefore, I'm getting nowhere. I'm supposed to have my question and hypothesis ready by Monday, then I'll have four weeks to complete it (not counting four weeks of Christmas break). Please!!! I need something that has not been done a million times already.
Last edited by TheScienceJerk on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everybody worries about 'becoming' a jerk, but if you're a jerk to begin with, you don't have to worry about ever becoming one.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Project Question: What are the best growth conditions for lima beans(variables: light, soil type, and water)?
Project Due Date: January 7th, 2013.
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Hey guys, I'm new and I'm looking for a question...

Postby Craig_Bridge » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:42 am

Doing totally original work in science is VERY RARE, usually extremely difficult, typically ends up requiring resources that can't be predicted, and often leads to a dead end or inconclusive result, which leads to further investigations before anything new is learned. Even original Doctorate level research is usually a variation on some previous idea. The project ideas on the Science Buddies site intentionally have NO HYPOTHESIS so the investigator has to make it their own.

IMO: It is far better to look through some ideas and figure out what areas interest you and then figure out how to do something that interests you and put a unique twist on it. If you start out searching to find something unique, you will spend a lot of time looking and run out time to do anything that you eventually come up with.
-Craig
Craig_Bridge
Expert

Postby TheScienceJerk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 am

I don't mind doing a project that might have been done before but...

1. I don't want it to be popular.
2. If it has been done before I want to vaguely understand how to do the project so that I can add my own twist and make it different.

Any comments?
Everybody worries about 'becoming' a jerk, but if you're a jerk to begin with, you don't have to worry about ever becoming one.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Project Question: What are the best growth conditions for lima beans(variables: light, soil type, and water)?

Postby TheScienceJerk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am

I've been thinking about what area of science I'd like to do this in and I can't decide. One thing I have decided that I want incorporated into my project is that I want to have to make daily observations. This means that I want to see something progressively happen over a period of time.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Postby TheScienceJerk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:22 am

I've decided to do observations on the growth speed of a plant, the healthiness according to controlled environments, the healthiness according to different soils or no soil. I will be using quickly growing plants and slowly growing plants.

1. beans
2. parsley
3. wheat
4. flowers
5. tomato

Any ideas on how I could enhance this?

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Postby TheScienceJerk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am

Update: I talked to my dad and realized I couldn't do different plants so I'm sticking with beans since they grow quickly.

I HAVE TO TURN MY PROJECT QUESTION, PROJECT PLAN, AND HYPOTHESIS IN ON MONDAY SO IF THERE ARE ANY MISTAKES I'M MAKING PLEASE INFORM ME QUICKLY!

Project Question: What is the best way to grow beans? (I will be using a certain type of bean, but I haven't decided on what type yet)

Hypothesis (vague): Beans will need plenty of light, rich soil, some water, high temp., and little air.

Project Plan: Get many plant trays and fill them with different types of soil or other material (rocks, clay). Let the beans grow in that enviroment and see which grows best. Other variables that I'll be testing are light, temp., water, etc.

This is all I have so far. All comments and suggestions are not only appreciated but urgently wanted.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Re: I'm looking for a question (now developing a project)

Postby sarahlaugtug » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi TSJ!

Looks like you have come up with some good ideas on your own, already. Good job! I like this project, and your dad is right (I'm sure you didn't want to hear that, right? :| ) about keeping your bean species to just one. By having only one variable, this will keep your project simpler, meaning that there are less chances for your results to get whacky.
Please read this before starting; make sure you follow the order, less confusion later.
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

So moving on, here are some ideas on your questions:
1) Project ideas: this sounds good, no changes.
1a) To choose a bean type, grow one that has a short germination and growth period, some ideas are: Mung beans or Lima beans. I would recommend growing your own from seeds, rather then buying "starters" from a store, because this way you will have the most control over project, and less variability between plants.
1b) To speed up germination soak beans in water for about 10-12 hours, and then plant in soil according to the instructions on package. Or, what I have done is place beans between some wet paper towels (keeping them wet) until they sprout.

2) Hypothesis: your hypothesis needs to be an "Educated Guess" of what will happen. That being said, you need to look up some information about your bean type, how do they grow best based on previous research? Then come up with your "guess" based on your research such as: Beans grow best in ___ environments, therefore, I believe the best type of soil will be ____ . DO NOT USE THIS HYPOTHESIS..IT IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE.
Read more about how to form a hypothesis: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... esis.shtml

3) Your variables include types of soil (clay, acidic, maybe different mineral rich..) and different temperatures, light. These are a lot of variables. Within each category a)soil type; b)light; c)temperature, you will need variables within that group, in addition your controls. That will be a lot of variables and controls. You will need at least 1 control for every experimental (I recommend using more than 1 control in case some die).
Read this first: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... les.shtml; http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #checklist
Your independent variable will be the item you are changing to the control, i.e. soil type. Your dependent variable is the part you observe, such as plant growth (like, the height of growth is DEPENDENT on soil type). It can be kind of confusing. It is recommended to only change one variable at a time. IF you want to do more than one variable, I would suggest only picking 2 maximum. For example, Soil type and Temperature.

Here is an example of what I mentioned above:

Controls: I would have about 5 plants, and have about 2-3 plants for EACH variable.
These are only examples, and to demonstrate the complexity:
Variable 1: Soil type
1A) Rocks
1B) Acidic soil
1C) Water only

Variable 2: Amount of light
2A) darkness
2B) Incandescent light
2C) natural light

Then you must combine your 2 variables like so, to see how each affects one another: This insures a FAIR TEST: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... test.shtml
1A + 2A
1A + 2B
1A + 2C

1B + 2A
2B...
3B..

1C + 2A
2C... you get the drift.

Confusing? It can be, there will be lots of sets of data, so you need to have a really organized lab book. This is why I recommend only using 1 variable. But it is up to you.
Also, you will need to keep your water amount consistent, such as using the exact same amount for every plant (use a measuring cup).

Please let me know if any of this is confusing, it is a lot of information, but I wanted to make sure I answered all your questions before your project proposal was due. I can't wait to hear more about the progress of your project.
Cheers! Happy Friday.
Always remain curious,
Sarah
sarahlaugtug
Expert

Project Question: Ask an Expert Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby TheScienceJerk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks Sarah for your input. I am still planning to do a few variables and decided that I would have one bean plant for each of the combinations you showed. This way I won't be confused. I have plenty of space and time to do the many different plants. Is what I'm doing sound good, or should I change something?

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Postby sarahlaugtug » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Fast response...you are so on it!

What you have planned sounds great. I would still have 2-3 plants for each of the variables you are planning on doing in case one dies, you will have the other one to rely on. It won't be any additional work, since you are planting them anyway. And, I would reiterate using the least amount of variables, such as soil type and amount of water, or soil type and temperature, etc. It is more important to have a larger sample size (the number of plants per variable) than it is to have number of variables. This ensures that your results are consistent and valid. Real world experiments have large sample sizes (i.e. # plants within each variable) and only test for one variable (i.e. soil type). But...this is your project, and it is a learning process, so of course, it is your decision. Just my two cents.

Here's an article you can read about all that:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... test.shtml

I look forward to hearing from you.
Always remain curious,
Sarah
sarahlaugtug
Expert

Project Question: Ask an Expert Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby TheScienceJerk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Okay, so right now I've just decided on three variables.

Light
Soil Type
Water (How much water I feed it)

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Postby TheScienceJerk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm working on my science for about 3 more hours and I'll only get a few minutes Saturday (I've got a paper to right and tons of Math Corrections) and maybe an hour on Sunday, so if some experts (especially Sarah who has pretty much adopted this topic) could really be active and check in every few minutes I'd really appreciate it.

Currently I'm forming my different combinations of varieties and trying to figure out how many plants I need. I'm writing this all down in my lab book (thanks to the project guide).

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Postby TheScienceJerk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Update: I have concluded that I will need 60 bean plants not counting extras in case they die. I plan on having three extras for each plant then taking the average of each. That adds up to 240 plants. I'm planning on going to Lowe's and buying 60 2x2 compartment trays (4 compartments that are 2x2 or 3x3 inches and probably 4 inches deep).

Here are my variables:

SOIL TYPE
A1 - Fertilizer
A2 - Mulch
A3 - Sand
A4 - Rocks
A5 - Dirt

LIGHT
B1 - Natural Light (12 hours)
B2 - No light (24 hours)
B3 - Fluorescent Light (12 hours)

WATER
C1 - No water
C2 - 1/8 cups of water
C3 - 1/4 cups of water
C4 - 1/3 cups of water

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Postby TheScienceJerk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:24 am

Update: Now only 3 sub-variables per variable.

Soil Type:
Sand
Gravel/Clay
Dirt

Water:
1/8 cups of water
1/4 cups of water
1/2 cups of water

Light:
Natural Light
No Light
Fluorescent Light

I will be having 4 samples for each sub-variable. I have not made a new chart yet but will in an hour or two. I will be checking in every 30 minutes. Please comment and help me with any suggestions.

PS: My dad said we might do wheat instead seeing that now is a season for certain wheat. Unfortunately I don't want to do wheat. This will probably not change my variables though. We have narrowed the chart down to 27 combinations (of the above variables) and are going to have 4 samples per combination. Oh, and if we do wheat, we have to cancel out variables B&C.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Postby TheScienceJerk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:00 am

Update: New variable list. Forget the wheat, I've decided to do beans.

Soil Type:
Sand
Gravel/Clay
Tough Dirt
Mulch
Rich Dirt

Water:
1/8 cups of water
1/4 cups of water
1/2 cups of water

Light:
Natural Light (12 hours)
No Light (24 hours)

This is thirty combinations and 120 plants total because I'm using 4 samples per combination. By the way, if some of you think my Dad is the one really doing the project even though I'm supposed to, he's not. He's just helping me a little. One thing he told me, is that although their are other variables that will effect my results, I don't have to control them. He said that when I wright my report I need to add, "All other inconsistent variables that might affect the results will be discredited in this project. Only variables being controlled will be mentioned."

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Re: Lima Beans: A study on the best growth conditions

Postby TheScienceJerk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:23 pm

I am now officially beginning research on my "Lima Beans: A study on the best growth conditions!" As I told you in my last post, I now have 30 combinations, 120 plants, and am using lima beans. I will be using the variables listed above. Each day from the day I plant them I will report their growth status (very abbreviated status on account of the number of plants). Sunday (tomorrow) I will be on from 1:30 to 4:00 eastern time. I will be here to answer any questions or accept advice.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Next

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences