does temperature affect the rate of butterfly develpment?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

does temperature affect the rate of butterfly develpment?

Postby qiraat aslam » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Can you explain how should I do this project? Can you explain me how to conduct the experiment? Like my teacher asked me that how does this topic imitate nature so can you please help me with that. I don't get what she means by imitate nature like I don't know what to do? Please help me.
qiraat aslam

Project Question: My project is on butterflies.
Project Due Date: March
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: does temperature affect the rate of butterfly develpment

Postby sarahlaugtug » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello,
Welcome to Science buddies! I assume you are doing this project below?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... background

You asked how to do the experiment? Read the section "procedure" under that topic. This will tell you how to do it. We can help you with certain steps if you don't understand them.

Could you please be more specific in your questions, such as what part of the experiment are you not sure how to do? There are many parts of the project, so try to be as specific as you can so we can help you more effectively.

There is some great information there that will help you get started. Maybe researching more about the lifecycle of butterflies will help you; there are some amazing pictures online under google images, you can search pictures/diagrams of "butterfly lifecylces" or something close to that.

The purpose of science projects is to find out more information about a particular subject--hopefully one you are interested in :) . Project simulate real world situations, but obviously in an environment in which you control. In this experiment you will be controlling the temperature of pupae development. When you control a part of the experiment that is called an INDEPENDENT VARIABLE. Please read more about variables here:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... bles.shtml

You want to know how this topic imitates nature? Try to think of how the temperature (which is, by the way, the part you are experimenting with) you will be controlling is similar and/or different than how you would find it in nature. You will need some background information on the lifecycle and the environment that butterflies grown in, such as temperature. You can google that or go to the library.

Re-read the experiment and ask us any specific questions you have after that. Have fun! Sounds like a fun project to do.
Always remain curious,
Sarah
sarahlaugtug
Expert

Project Question: Ask an Expert Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby qiraat aslam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Hey Sarah,
Thanks for replying and explaining me a little bit. I just want to know what should I write for my hypothesis because it is really confusing to come up with one before the experiment. I am doing a project in school and I have to design an experimental diagram. In the diagram you have to write levels of I.V and at this point I am not sure what to do with that. Can you please help me with that? I have to submit my experimental design by this week so can you please tell me. It will be really helpful. Thank you.
qiraat aslam

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Quiraat,

This is a great experiment! I study the effects of temperature on animals, so this is especially interesting to me.

You need to come up with a hypothesis based on your background research. Have you tried researching what is known about how temperature affects butterfly development? I did a quick Google search for "effect of temperature on butterfly development," and many good sources came up (including some scientific articles).

Your hypothesis will predict how you think temperature will affect butterfly development. Do you think caterpillars will develop into butterflies faster at higher temperatures or at lower temperatures? Your answer to that will be your hypothesis!

qiraat aslam wrote:In the diagram you have to write levels of I.V and at this point I am not sure what to do with that. Can you please help me with that?

I am not sure what you mean by this. Can you clarify this question for me?

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A

Postby qiraat aslam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Hey Heather,
Thanks for explaining me. I got my hypothesis. By levels of I.V, I meant Independent variable. My teacher asked me to make an experimental diagram and there we have to come up with levels of I.V and repeated trials. I am confused about that. Should I write the temperature there or what? Thank you so much for helping.

Qiraat
qiraat aslam

Postby heatherL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Qiraat,

For your independent variable, you will list the different temperatures at which you plan to raise the butterflies. Those would be your different "levels."

Please keep me posted on your progress!

Heather
heatherL

Postby qiraat aslam » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Hello Heather,
Thank you so much for helping. I am just confused with the temperature, can you please help. I am trying to come up with something for levels of independent variable but i am not sure what to do. Like i am confused what temperature i should do and if i put them in extremely hot temperature, i am not sure what to use for that like if i want extremely hot temperature should i use a heater or what? And what about extremely cold or freezing temperature?

Qiraat
qiraat aslam

Postby heatherL » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi Qiraat,

Here is the information regarding temperature from the Materials section of the project:

- 1 warm environment (e.g., indoors, approx. 20°C),
- 1 cool environment:
- the temperature should definitely be above freezing (0°C);
- depending on the time of year and your location, this could be an unheated garage, porch, outdoors, or some type of insulated cooler setup,
- keep the containers away from direct sunlight, which will cause the temperature to rise and then fall as the day proceeds.
- For an insulated cooler you could try placing the hatching container inside an open ice chest with a bag of ice in the bottom, covered by a layer of corrugated cardboard or some crumpled newspaper. Surrounding the inner box with crumpled newspaper insulation may help as well. In a quick test, our open cooler setup reduced ambient temperature by a little more than 3°C, and the ice lasted for many hours. Check with a thermometer to make sure your setup maintains the inner box at the desired temperature. You'll have to periodically replenish the ice and dump melt water; check it several times per day at the beginning and then as needed once you see how fast the ice melts.

From this information, and knowing how ectotherms (cold-blooded animals) are dependent on environmental temperature, I would definitely avoid extremes. If you wanted more than two levels, I would go with (1) room temperature, (2) 3-5°C below room temperature, and (3) 3-5°C above room temperature. You could try using a small space heater in the room for your warmer treatment, but be careful to set it as low as possible.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions along the way!

Heather
heatherL

Postby qiraat aslam » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for replying Heather. I just don't understand what do you mean by this
(2) 3-5°C below room temperature, and (3) 3-5°C above room temperature.

Like if the room temperature is 20°C so if I want below that it should be 16°C or what?
Thank you for helping me a lot.

Qiraat
qiraat aslam

Postby heatherL » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 am

Hi Qiraat,

Yes, first check the room temperature so you know what it is. If the room temperature is 20°C, you would aim for around 16°C for the lower temperature (and around 24°C for the higher temperature, if you decide to go higher). If the room temperature is more like 25°C, you can adjust accordingly (low: 21°C, high: 29°C).

Does this make sense?

Heather
heatherL

Postby qiraat aslam » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Hey Heather,

Yes, it makes sense and helps a lot. Thank you so much for helping and replying. :)

Qiraat
qiraat aslam

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences