Need help with finding contacts for cancer research

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Need help with finding contacts for cancer research

Postby seanjedi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 am

Hello my name is Sean Malloy, a student of Mount Diablo High School in Concord, and I am writing to ask for help with a experiment for cancer research. I am doing a project in which I am testing the affects of the herbal remedies, such as Hoxsey and Birch has on cancer cells (seeing if these two herbs, that are rumored to heal cancer, actually has an affect on the cancer cells). The cancer cells that I am planning to use are skin cancer cells such as basal carcinoma or squamous carcinoma (or even possibly malignant melanoma... but I would prefer the other two first). I need help obtaining the cancer cells ( the cell mediums) and finding a certified scientist to certify my school laboratory up to a level of a bio-safety lab 2 (which is needed for me to do my experiment and to make is safe... we already have the materials such as a biological safety cabinet and a incubator, we just need to get certified... or a certified laboratory that I may work in.). For my experiment I plan on adding the herbs to the cancer cells and note the differences in growth rate between the samples of herbs and cancer versus the samples with no herbs. Thank you and i hope to hear back soon.
seanjedi

Project Question: I am doing a science project for my Biotech class, and I am interested into researching for cures. I need helping setting up my project for the fair, and I am still uncertain of what my topic will be. The disease I am interested in is to research/discover possible cures for cancer possibly using herbs/chemicals to cure, or using/experimenting with possible therapies. Thank you for the help, and I hope to hear back soon.
Project Due Date: June 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Need help with finding contacts for cancer research

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi Sean,

I just posted a reply in your previous thread, where I gave you a link to the Science Buddies information regarding how to find a mentor: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... tors.shtml

To help all of our Experts with providing advice for your project, it is best to keep all related posts in the same thread. In other words, I recommend that you put your future posts in your original topic thread, so the other Experts can see the history of your project idea.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need help with finding contacts for cancer research

Postby seanjedi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:49 am

Dear Heather,

Thank you for the response and i'll keep that in mind. I wasnt sure whether to make a new thread or not, but ill keep in mind for now on to only keep wtihin one thread as much as possible for my project. Thank you for helping me with my project, and your help is very helpful, and I think it will greatly help me with my project,

Sincerely,
Sean
seanjedi

Project Question: I am doing a science project for my Biotech class, and I am interested into researching for cures. I need helping setting up my project for the fair, and I am still uncertain of what my topic will be. The disease I am interested in is to research/discover possible cures for cancer possibly using herbs/chemicals to cure, or using/experimenting with possible therapies. Thank you for the help, and I hope to hear back soon.
Project Due Date: June 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences