Pseudomonas and antibiotic

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Pseudomonas and antibiotic

Postby huymai » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:05 am

Hi,

My project is to test the Pseudomonas antibiotic's resistant capabilities on different kind antibiotics ( artificial vs herbal). However, i can't find a way to come up with data(numbers) for graph and chart. Is there a way to count the dead and alive bacteria on the petri dish after t antibiotic had been applied?

In addition, It is difficult to obtain antibiotic for human so i decided to us antibiotic for animal as a substitute. So is there any different between antibiotic for human and animal?

Thank you.
huymai

Project Question: "Pseudomonas's antibiotic resistant on market antibiotic and herbal antibiotic"
Project Due Date: 1/10/13
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Pseudomonas and antibiotic

Postby donnahardy2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Huymai,

Welcome to Science Buddies!

This is a really great project idea and here is a source that will give you measurable results that you need for your results section of your science project:

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/dise ... vities.pdf
The antibiotic resistance test involves measuring the zone of inhibition in millimeters around an antibiotic disc growing on a lawn of bacteria. The protocol above does not describe how to prepare the culture, however, you should use freshly grown broth cultures not more than 12 hours old.

Here is a project idea from the Science Buddies website that includes other helpful information such as a link to the Microbiology Techniques and Troubleshooting and SRC approval, which you may need for this project:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

The antibiotics used for humans are identical to those used in animals. You should test more than one concentration of each antibiotic if possible.

Please post again if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences