Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
I would like to culture bacteria from surfaces such as doorknobs. I am not sure about which type of Agar should be used. Can you help me by providling suggestions ? My teacher does have LB Agar, would that be suitable to use?
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 am
- Occupation: student 12th grade
- Project Question: im am intersted in doing my project on cookies an as to why they turn brown on the bottom ; or my second option i was looking at was how to creat an invisible image and how certain colors dissapesr.
- Project Due Date: january 18th
- Project Status: I am just starting
This is a really great project idea! LB agar is a general all purpose bacteria growth medium without any inhibitors, so would be good to use for this project. The specific growth medium and techniques for collecting the bacteria and growing them should be controlled parameters in this experiment, and your only variable should be the doorknobs.
Here is a project idea from the Science Buddies website that you can adapt for your specific project. The procedure specifies nutrient agari, but LB agar is perfectlyy good to use also. http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure
What question are you trying to answer with your project?
Please post again if you have more questions.
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:45 pm
Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests