Language Learnng Techniques

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Language Learnng Techniques

Postby skye97 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm thinking about doing a project to test which learning technique is effective most often in helping students learn a different language.

I'm not really sure how to go about testing this though. Which techniques should I test? How should I test them?

I took an interest in this because I'm using Pimsleur to learn a language and it got me thinking what other methods are used to learn languages.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (:
skye97

Project Question: Unknown
Project Due Date: 11/25/2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Language Learnng Techniques

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 am

Hi skye97,

You have a very interesting project idea! It may be difficult to complete this kind of project in your time frame. You would need to work with human volunteers, and you would need to develop different tests to compare how well your volunteers learned the language. It can be done, but not in a short period of time.

If you are interested in finding out more about how people learn, you could take a look at this Science Buddies project on Piaget's Theory of Conservation: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p049.shtml
This project does take several weeks to months to complete, but it will give you an idea of the kind of experimental design you would need for the project idea you proposed.

If you need to do something in a very short time frame, I suggest checking out the Science Buddies Topic Selection Wizard (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... gister.php). You can input your due date and your interests, and it will help you find projects that will work for you.

Post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions!

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences