About bioremediation

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

About bioremediation

Postby helpfrombio » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:03 pm

I am currently undergoing a research on bioremediation. I would like to know the general process of the fungal remediation, but I cannot find any suitable sources explaining that. Thanks for your help.
helpfrombio

Project Question: Bioremediation - mycoremediation
Project Due Date: 27/11/2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: About bioremediation

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi,

Welcome to Science Buddies! This is a great project idea. There is one abbreviated project idea on this general topic on the Science Buddies website; there are no experimental details, but there are a couple of references that should be helpful.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

Since this is a science project, you need to find scientific references on the topic. I suggest doing a search for "Google Scholar," and then search under terms related to your topic, such as "bioremediation with fungi."

Unfortunately, most of the references are available by subscription only, but you will find abstracts that will contain useful information and a few articles that you can access. Look for a paper that you can open and read the materials and methods section. It looks like there are lots of references and that you will be interested in learning more about white rot fungi.

If you are close to a university library, it would be worthwhile to investigate the possibility of looking up some of the relevant journal articles. If you find a recent journal article, it will probably include the primary author's e-mail address and you can write for more information.

When is your project due? Fungi grow fairly slowly, so you will need to start on this soon even if you have 2-3 months before the deadline.

Good luck! Please post again if you have any questions about the information that you find.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences