Calcium Carbonate to the Rescue. I need help soon please!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Calcium Carbonate to the Rescue. I need help soon please!!!

Postby AH1410 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:34 pm

I am doing this project but i dont know if i can use sulfuric acid instead of hydrochloric acid to make artificial stomach acid with a pH of 1 or 2. If i can, is there any specific sulfuric acid im supposed to use( like with hydrochloric acid it had to be 0.1 M or if it was more concentrated, i had to dilute it)? And how do i use it to make the artificial stomach acid? im sure the intructions would be different from those of using 0.1 M hydrochloric acid.

[Science Buddies added: URL for project: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p010.shtml]
AH1410

Project Question: Im doing the project of "Calcium to the Rescue. How Antacids Help Relieve Heartburn" and i want to know if i can do it with sulfuric acid and not hydrochloric acid to make the artificial stomach acid with a pH of 1 or 2.
Project Due Date: 11-27-2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Calcium Carbonate to the Rescue. I need help soon please

Postby MelissaB » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:22 am

Hi,

I'm not a chemist, but sulfuric acid should work just fine. You will need the same molarity of sulfuric acid in order to get the same PH. The instructions would be the same, actually--most acids will react similarly in such a situation.

Be sure to follow the safety instructions--both hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid can be dangerous if handled improperly!
MelissaB

Re: Calcium Carbonate to the Rescue. I need help soon please

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 am

Hi there,

Is there a particular reason you want to use sulfuric acid instead of hydrochloric acid? Although they are both strong acids, the chemical reaction will NOT be the same because sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is diprotic (has two protons), whereas hydrochloric acid (HCl) is monoprotic (has only one proton). As a result, it will be much more difficult to neutralize sulfuric acid because the conjugate base, HSO4(-1), will act as a buffer.

The reason the project calls for you to use hydrochloric acid is because that is the exact acid produced by the parietal cells of the stomach. So a 0.1M solution of HCl is artificial stomach acid. Thus, I encourage you to use hydrochloric acid for this particular project.

If you want to go a step further, you could do the experiment with HCl and repeat it with 0.1M H2SO4 to demonstrate how things would be different if the stomach used sulfuric acid instead of hydrochloric acid. Let me know if you would like to go this route, and I can help you with your experimental design.

And please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences