Culturing plant cell

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Culturing plant cell

Postby RoySeto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:52 am

Hi, I wanted to know if there is a procedure to grow plant cells after we obtain a few from a plant. I want to grow plant cells and control the vatimin C intake (variable) but I having trouble finding the right procedure. If you know of any procedure that i can use it would appreciated.
RoySeto

Project Question: Preparing for science fair.
Project Due Date: June 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Culturing plant cell

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 am

Hi RoySeto,

This is not my area of expertise, but I do know that cell culture may require the use of sterile laboratory facilities, which means you might want to contact research labs at nearby universities to get help with your project.

If you want to learn more about culturing plant cells, I suggest you do some research online and at the library.

Here is the Wikipedia article about culturing plant tissues:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_tissue_culture
Although Wikipedia is not always the most reliable resource on its own, the Bibliography has links to proper references to help you get more information.

I hope this helps you get started, and I hope an expert more familiar with cell culture can help you with the details!

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences