science fair project dealing with bacillus cereus

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

science fair project dealing with bacillus cereus

Postby kevin31110 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am

I am doing a science project dealing with Bacillus Cereus(food poisoning) and I am planning on growing it on a petri dish. I will be doing my procedure under a biological safety cabinet and grow it in an incubator. I will be using all the safety procautions I have learned in my ROP Biotechnology course, such as, using bleach and alcohol on surfaces that I may use that can expose the bacteria, gloves, goggles, sterilizing, aprons, etc. I would like to know any other procautions that Bacillus Cereus may cause problems? If the bacteria is put on a table and a student came by and put his hands on the table, even after the table being bleached, can it cause any harm to the student?
kevin31110

Project Question: Research project
Project Due Date: January 18th, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: science fair project dealing with bacillus cereus

Postby jmehta14 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Dear Student,
All the precautions you are taking is very appropriate. You want to dispose those petridshes in a safety hazard container after your experiment is done. There should be enough precautions not to spill any bacteria on table top surfaces and if there is an accidental spill on the table surface then you can clean it with bleach then there should be no harm to anybody. The best thing is not to let the bacteria to be on any table top surfaces. It should be cautiously transfered
from the test tube to the petri dishes and adult supervision is always a must.

Take care,
Jay
jmehta14
Expert

Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: science fair project dealing with bacillus cereus

Postby heatherL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:41 am

Hi Kevin,

Jay has given you some good advice. However, science fairs have strict guidelines regarding the use of microorganisms, especially those known to be harmful to humans. I am not sure whether your science fair will allow the use of Bacillus cereus, so it's a good idea to check with your teacher before proceeding.

In the mean time, here is some information regarding standard guidelines for projects involving microorganisms, as well as safety tips:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ?from=Blog
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... fety.shtml

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences