Effect of electrolyte on blood pressure?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Effect of electrolyte on blood pressure?

Postby OneTwo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Hello, our idea is the idea of the effect of electrolyte on blood pressure. In my project I'm thinking of getting vitamin water or energy drinks since they have electrolyte and water to see if it effects memory. Since I don't have a brief idea can you please help me, I found this online and I really liked this project. I have a week to do this, would you be able to help?
OneTwo

Project Question: Science Fair experiment : How long does it take for the whole ozone to be vanished.
Project Due Date: in 2 weeks
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Effect of electrolyte on blood pressure?

Postby heatherL » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:42 am

Hi OneTwo,

It seems like you have two ideas here. One has to do with the effects of electrolytes on blood pressure, and the other with the effects of electrolytes on memory. If you can post the link to the project you found, it will help us to better assist you.

You have a tight time window, but I think it is feasible for you to do a project on the effects of electrolytes on blood pressure. You'll just have to get started right away!

One thing that is known to affect blood pressure is the intake of water and/or electrolytes (ions dissolved in water). As you know, drinks like Vitamin Water and Gatorade have electrolytes that could affect blood pressure. One option is to modify the Science Buddies Electrolyte Challenge project to make it your own. The great thing about this project is that you can do it at home, and Science Buddies offers a kit that gives you all of the materials you need (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #materials). If you wanted to combine it with your original idea, you could see how the electrolyte content of different drinks affects blood pressure. For this, you would also need to purchase a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff), in addition to the electrolyte kit.

You could pick a few different drinks for your test, and use the Electrolyte Challenge procedure (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure) to determine the electrolyte content in each drink. Then you could have people drink the different drinks and look for an effect on their blood pressure. If you don't have time to do the Electrolyte Challenge portion of the experiment, you could just look at the effect of different drinks on blood pressure, as described below.

Let's say you chose 3 drinks to compare. For the experiments, you will want to take resting blood pressure prior to the drink, then ask the person to drink a set amount of liquid (which should be calculated as a fraction of their body weight, such as 10mL of liquid per kilogram of body weight). Then take their blood pressure at set intervals (say, every 30 minutes) for 2 hours after drinking the liquid. You should also have a control group that drinks no liquid, but still has blood pressure taken every 30 minutes for 2 hours.

Thus, you will have four groups: (1) no liquid, (2) water, (3) electrolyte drink #1, (4) electrolyte drink #2. In each group, you will take resting blood pressure, then have the person drink (or not), and repeat blood pressure measurements every 30 minutes for 2 hours thereafter. It will be important to get as many people to participate in your study as possible, so you have a large enough sample size to compare your groups statistically. Once you have the data, I can help you with the statistics.

I hope this helps you get started. Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences