Peroxide Strength

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Peroxide Strength

Postby gveigl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 am

My daughter sent this off last night but did not get a confirmation email back; I thought I'd try today. We are running the experiment "Enzyme-Catalyzed Reactions— What Affects Their Rates? ". The experiment test reations at different temperatures, the lowest is -18C (freezer temperature). The hydrogen peroxide we bought from the drug store is only 3%. Won't the peroxide freeze at -18C? What strength are we to use and where do we buy that from? The only places I know that sell stronger peroxide solutions are Fisher Scientific, will they sell to an individual. Stronger peroxide is more dangerous, I wasn't sure how strong I wanted her to use?
gveigl

Project Question: My daughter sent this off last night but did not get a confirmation email back; I thought I'd try today. The hydrogen peroxide we bought from the drug store is only 3%. Won't the peroxide freeze at -18C? What strength are we to use and where do we buy that from? The only places I know that sell stronger peroxide solutions are Fisher Scientific, will they sell to an individual. Stronger peroxide is more dangerous, I wasn't sure how strong I wanted her to use?
Project Due Date: 1-10-13
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Peroxide Strength

Postby sunmoonstars » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 am

Hi,

The instructions say 3%, which is what you get at the grocery store. And I do think that will freeze at the same temperature as water. I think you are on the right track. Please let me know if you have more questions :)

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/BioChem_p011.shtml#materials
Tonya
sunmoonstars
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences