Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
I am conducting an experiment regarding The effects of electromagnetic fields on organisms, in this case daphnia magna, and I would like to know: is there any sort of behavior I can easily observe on such an organism? This project will only last 3-4 days.
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am
- Occupation: Student: 10th grade
- Project Question: I am conducting an experiment regarding The effects of electromagnetic fields on organisms, in this case daphnia magna, and I would like to know: is there any sort of behavior I can easily observe on such an organism? This project will only last 3-4 days.
- Project Due Date: January 14, 2013
- Project Status: I am just starting
What an interesting project idea! Just for clarification, are you talking about electromagnetic radiation (in other words, light), or are you talking about electric or magnetic fields? Either idea can work, but your setup will be different depending on what you mean by "electromagnetic fields."
In terms of behavior
, you can observe how application of the field changes (or does not change) the movement
of the organisms.
Another feature of Daphnia
is that it is easy to observe their heart rate
under a microscope.
Here are two Science Buddies projects with Daphnia magna
that can help you get started in terms of thinking about how to handle the organisms and how to design your experiment to answer your particular question.http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p043.shtmlhttp://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p048.shtml
Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.
- Posts: 889
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:59 pm
- Occupation: Professor
- Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
- Project Due Date: N/A
- Project Status: Not applicable
Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests