Prozac Chromatography

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Prozac Chromatography

Postby Diane35 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:21 am

Hello,

I am doing a project on SSRI and serotonin syndrome, and I would like to make a chromatography of Prozac, in order to bring out the presence of Fluoxetine.
I would like to know what solvant I should use, and what equipment I need, because I could'nt find anybody able to answer me yet...

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and sorry if I made some language mistakes, English is not my native language :)
Diane35

Project Question: SSRI and Serotonin Syndrome
Project Due Date: February 1st, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Prozac Chromatography

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Diane,

Welcome to Science Buddies! Your English is very good and I think I do understand your question.

This is a great topic for a science project. You should try doing a search for "analysis of fluoxetine" and its metabolite, norfluoxetine. This should bring up lots of references for you.

For example, here is a reference that describes a chromatography method for this type of analysis. Do you have access to a research laboratory with HPLC equipment? The analysis requires a specialized chiral column and the chromatography conditions are described in the abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21752386

Please post again in this topic if you need more information.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences