Microbial fuel cell PLEASE HELP!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Microbial fuel cell PLEASE HELP!!

Postby vicleo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 pm

I've decided to do this project "Waste Not, Want Not: Use the Microbial Fuel Cell to Create Electricity from Waste" for my science fair, the only problem is that i do not have access to a live stream of water because it is currently winter where i live, what do i do?? and also is it necessary to create 3 microbial fuel cells or is one enough??
vicleo

Project Question: I will be generating energy from waste using a microbial fuel cell
Project Due Date: february 22nd
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Microbial fuel cell PLEASE HELP!!

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Vcleo,

Welcome to Science Buddies. I think you are doing this project, which is a really great, but challenging science project:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p026.shtml

For your sample of mixed microbes that include the anaerobic bacteria that will form a biofilm on the anode electrode to generate the electron flow for your cell, you need a sample of mud from the bottom of a body of fresh water; it does not have to be a free flowing stream. Are there any small lakes that are not frozen over available? You can collect a sample using a bucket and rope, if necessary.

Or, are there any streams small enough that you could chip through the ice and collect a sample of frozen mud from the bottom? I'm sure the bacteria would thaw and start to grow again as soon as you can provide a higher temperature.

Be very careful and do not try to collect the sample by yourself. Collecting mud from frozen water sources is hazardous.

Creating one operating microbial fuel cell is enough for this project. You will need to measure the current and voltage output to confirm that your cell works.

Please post again if you have more questions.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby vicleo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 pm

thank you so much, and yes i will try to collect mud from a small river or stream, if not could i use actual sewage water, or is that hazardous?
vicleo

Project Question: I will be generating energy from waste using a microbial fuel cell
Project Due Date: february 22nd
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby donnahardy2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 am

Hi,

Sewage water would be potentially hazardous, so try to find a small steam that you can access.

Donna
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:37 am

Hi,

One more suggestion. It will be a while until you have a functioning microbial fuel cell, but try to plan to do a simple experiment with your fuel cell, either to run a small device that uses a very low current, or vary the temperature, or try different resistors or other components. That will give you a complete experiment.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences