Question About Titration Process

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Question About Titration Process

Postby livibre » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi, I'm trying to test the vitamin c levels in fruit and in the link below found from the project here on science buddies, "Which Orange Juice Has the Most Vitamin C" it says to use water in the steps in preparing the solid iodine solution. One of my science teachers was saying that iodine doesnt dissolve or at least easily in water but the iodine I believe is being mixed with potassium iodide which can dissolve in water. I was just wondering what the best way to prepare solid iodine is?
http://www.outreach.canterbury.ac.nz/ch ... iodine.pdf
livibre

Project Question: The 'Blasting the Flu Virus' experiment gave me an idea on what I can do for this years science fair in my class. Changing the experiment to he most effective common cold killer instead of the most effective flu vaccine would interest me. Would it be possible to perform this experiment in a school lab or home setting? If so what materials would be best to use?
Project Due Date: January 18
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Question About Titration Process

Postby donnahardy2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:20 am

Hi,

It sounds like you are doing this great project from the Science Buddies website.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p044.shtml

The specific directions for making Lugol’s iodine solution are given in the link you posted. If you add potassium iodide to the iodine, it will dissolve in water:

“ Weigh 2 g of potassium iodide into a 100 mL beaker. Weigh 1.3 g of iodine and add it into the same beaker. Add a few mL of distilled water and swirl for a few minutes until iodine is dissolved.”

Please post again in this topic if you have more questions.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences