Environmental Science

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Environmental Science

Postby Ama100 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:31 pm

I am experimenting on this question- Which concentration of fertilizer-2%,4%,6% has the worst effects on the Amazon Sword Plant (freshwater aquarium plants)? I just finished the control with no fertilizer and the results were not what I expected. The plants are supposed to grow about half an inch a day according to articles I read. The plants only grew about half an inch in three weeks. I had a ten gallon tank at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and a 15 watt Grow bulb on for 12 hours a day.There was gravel at the bottom and a water pump on. The fertilizer acts as a pollutant. There is nothing else in the tank besides the plants and gravel.I don't get why they didn't grow. Do you have any advice on what I should do?
Last edited by Ama100 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ama100

Project Question: Which concentration of fertilizer-2%,4%,6% has the worst effects on Amazon Sword Plants?
Project Due Date: Late February
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Environmental Science

Postby jmehta14 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Dear Ama,
I read some info about the plants. You might need about 20 watts bulb as it is a 10 gallon water, ( 2 watts per gallon), and also want to check the ph/alkalinity of the water. Also your question is about the fertilizer effect so if you use the 2%, 4% or 6% your growth of the plants will be accordingly.Control plant without fertilizer may not have grown because there is no fertilizer to boost its growth. I hope this is helpful.
Jay
jmehta14
Expert

Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences