Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
I am experimenting on this question- Which concentration of fertilizer-2%,4%,6% has the worst effects on the Amazon Sword Plant (freshwater aquarium plants)? I just finished the control with no fertilizer and the results were not what I expected. The plants are supposed to grow about half an inch a day according to articles I read. The plants only grew about half an inch in three weeks. I had a ten gallon tank at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and a 15 watt Grow bulb on for 12 hours a day.There was gravel at the bottom and a water pump on. The fertilizer acts as a pollutant. There is nothing else in the tank besides the plants and gravel.I don't get why they didn't grow. Do you have any advice on what I should do?
Last edited by Ama100
on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm
- Occupation: student:9th grade
- Project Question: Which concentration of fertilizer-2%,4%,6% has the worst effects on Amazon Sword Plants?
- Project Due Date: Late February
- Project Status: I am conducting my experiment
I read some info about the plants. You might need about 20 watts bulb as it is a 10 gallon water, ( 2 watts per gallon), and also want to check the ph/alkalinity of the water. Also your question is about the fertilizer effect so if you use the 2%, 4% or 6% your growth of the plants will be accordingly.Control plant without fertilizer may not have grown because there is no fertilizer to boost its growth. I hope this is helpful.
- Former Expert
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 am
- Occupation: Student 10th Grade
- Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
- Project Due Date: March 1st
- Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data
Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests