What could my control be?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

What could my control be?

Postby beccan15 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 am

So basically in my experiment I am trying to find the optimal concentration of sodium dodecyl sulfate in a simple DNA collection experiment. I'm using 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, and 12.5% concentrations, but I don't know what to do for my control. My first thought was so do a 0%, but the experiment wouldn't work without SDS. Should I just use the 0% as my control anyway?

Also, what should I name my project? I thought about using: "DNA Collection Methods," but I'm not testing different methods for DNA collection. Any ideas?
beccan15

Project Question: electrophoresis with different plants/fruits/vegetables, haven't decided yet
Project Due Date: February, Early March 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: What could my control be?

Postby VSegarra » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello beccan15,
If you are trying to evaluate the effects of increasing concentrations of SDS in a DNA isolation protocol, it makes sense to have a no SDS control. Regarding the name of your project, you may also use the term "DNA isolation" instead of "DNA collection". When thinking of a cool name for your project you may want to think about the fact that SDS is a detergent. You may also think about why the SDS has such a dramatic effect in the results (DNA yield) when using the protocol. What sample are you using as a starting material?
Happy research,
Veronica
VSegarra
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby beccan15 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 am

Thank you!!

I'll be trying to extract DNA from strawberries, if that's what you're asking. I'm entered in a pretty prestigious science fair, and my teacher advises against using creative catchy names, so I was thinking about using "Strawberry DNA Isolation (or Collection)" What do you think?
beccan15

Project Question: electrophoresis with different plants/fruits/vegetables, haven't decided yet

Postby VSegarra » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Isolation of genomic DNA from Strawberries
Extraction of genomic DNA from Strawberries
I would pick one word (collection/isolation/extraction) and use it on the title (no parenthesis). The reason why I do not favor using the word "collection" is that it does not fully convey the idea that you are actively purifying and extracting this DNA from the strawberries using a biochemical method/process. Either of the words mentioned here work.
Hope your poster presentation goes well!
Veronica
VSegarra
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby beccan15 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm

When I put the parenthesis I didn't mean that to be part of the actual title...oops! I had it there to show that I could use either word
beccan15

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences