the production of apple juice

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

the production of apple juice

Postby 3Rachael » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:01 pm

I am currently completing my (scottish) advanced higher biology investigation. I have chosen to investigate 'the effect of different enzymes (pectinase, amylase and cellulase) on the production of fruit juice from apples. I have tried to comeplete the experiment already but my school provided me with very weak concentrations of the enzymes so larger volumes were used. This resulted in the liquid enzyme being filtered instead of it reacting with the apples and filtering off juice. I was just wondering if there was any way to encourage the apple to absorb the enzyme so that only juice was filtered off eg - crushing the apples, adding less enzyme (what volume do you suggest) heating the apples etc.

Any help would be much appriciated! :)
3Rachael

Project Question: Investigating the effect of different enzymes (pectinase, amylase + cellulase) on the production of fruit juice from apples.
Project Due Date: monday 28th January
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: the production of apple juice

Postby TroyPercival » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 pm

I found your experiment online and under preparation of materials it stated

"Termamyl/Pectinex/Celluclast can be obtained from NCBE, Science and Technology Centre, Earley Gate, University of Reading, Whiteknights, READING, RG6 6BZ. Tel: 0118 987 3743 Fax: 0118 975 0140
Enzyme data sheets are automatically supplied with the order."

Therefore if your school ordered from NCBE, Science and Technology Centre, the concentration of enzyme should be correct. I would suggest you review the procedure again to ensure every steps had been follow. The experiment does stated the apple must be cut into small pieces.

Michael
TroyPercival
Former Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences