Making agar plates?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Making agar plates?

Postby chalupa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:25 am

I'm going to make agar plates and determine the viable titer after testing.

I plan on mixing 8.5 ml agar with 0.5 ml soil bacteria dilution in water and 1 ml of a 10^4 dilution of a chemical in distilled water.
Or, if that's too much water, then 9.4 ml nutrient agar with 0.5 ml bacteria dilution and 0.1 ml of a 10^3 dilution of chemical. The entire 10 ml of liquid would be a 10^5 dilution of the chemical.

My directions for making plates says to pour a 3 mm layer on the bottom of the petri dish. Will the bacteria still grow if it is only 1.5-2 mm thick? I don't have enough agar and I can't afford to mess up.
Can I open petri dishes if they have soil microorganisms or would I have to have a lab? I want to gram stain the bacteria.

Thanks for any responses.
chalupa

Project Question: Toxicity of Pesticides
Project Due Date: 2/2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Making agar plates?

Postby sunmoonstars » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 am

Hi,

Please read the Microorganisms Safety Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Micro_Safety.shtmlThe information you need is in the section about Unknown Microorganisms. I do suggest you use a laboratory if you are going to do any staining from your bacterial cultures.

The depth of the agar is important - as long as you cover the bottom and can keep them from drying out during incubation they should grow bacteria without a problem.

good luck! Let me know if you have more questions.

Tonya :)
sunmoonstars
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences