Do we hear what we want to hear?HELP PLEASE!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Do we hear what we want to hear?HELP PLEASE!

Postby kmiicheller » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:04 am

Hi! I was wondering if you could help me find the real life application of my project. My project's name is Melody Camouflage, and is about demonstrating how we hear what we expect or want to hear. My science teacher focuses a lot in the real life application of the projects, and I have been thinking and searching but I haven't found any possible application. If you could give me any suggestions I will be really grateful.
P.S. If you have any suggestions on how I could make my project even more interesting, the ideas are all welcome.
Thanks
kmiicheller

Project Question: I would like to show the different effects that cell phones have on humans, my idea was to join many projects, one measuring human reaction time, and I will like to try to do the project thet you show on your site. How do you recommend me to do the jig? Also, I would like any suggestion to my project idea, I will appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance.
Project Due Date: January 25, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Do we hear what we want to hear?HELP PLEASE!

Postby microkts » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi,

This sounds like an interesting project. Can you tell me more about what your project is about. What variable are you testing and how are you going to measure its effects? Once I know more about your project I can help you find some real life applications.

Kierstyn
microkts
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Do we hear what we want to hear?HELP PLEASE!

Postby heatherL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello,

You have a very interesting idea! It seems as if your project relates to sociology and human behavior. Have you looked through the Science Buddies project ideas related to those topics? You may find helpful information that will give you ideas for your experimental design. For example, try reading the Background and Make It Your Own sections of this project: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p025.shtml. This project uses a survey to get an idea of people's preferences. Perhaps you could combine a survey with a verbal (or musical?) "test" to see how people's preferences relate to what they hear. In terms of application, your results could relate to advertising, political campaigns, or other ways in which sound is used to influence people.

As Kierstyn said, providing more details about your project will help us to give you more specific advice.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences