Fingerprints :)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Fingerprints :)

Postby xxxREDxxx » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:08 pm

I have recently viewed "Are fingerprint patterns inherited" and I am very interested in using this for the base of an experiment I need to do for school (SRP) However, It is too simple for my grade/abillities and I wish to push myself a tad more without my brain completely exploding. I need some ideas how to take it that one step further.

Thanks
Please help :P
xxxREDxxx

Project Question: I have recently veiwed your page on "Are fingerprint patterns inherited" and I am very interested in this. However after reading through it I have come to the conclusion of it being a little too simple for my grade/abillities. The reason for my enquiry is that i was wondering how to take it just one step further, but not enough to over-complicate things for my brain. Thank you for your time
Project Due Date: March the 3rd
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Fingerprints :)

Postby donnahardy2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 am

Hi,

Welcome to Science Buddies! I think you are thinking about doing this project from the Science Buddies website:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... eityourown

This is actually a fairly challenging project; it will take some practice to take clear usable fingerprints. The project suggests getting samples from at least 15 sibling pairs and this alone will take a considerable amount of time.

If you check out the tab on this project guide, “make it your own,” you will find some suggestions for making the project even more challenging and unique. The obvious choice for this project is the data analysis. I recommend checking out the possibility of doing mathematical analysis of the data to determine if results are statistically relevant.

Another possibility would be to compare results with all 10 fingerprints or compare toe and fingerprints.

Good luck! Please post again in this topic if you have any more questions.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Re: Fingerprints :)

Postby xxxREDxxx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi Mrs Hardy,
I spoke to you a while ago on the topic of fingerprints for the SRP
I would like to thank you for your help along with science buddies for all your help.
I received the SRP back with 59.5 out of 60 (I lost half a mark in my presentation) I would highly recommend this SRP for other year 10 students.

Once again,
THANK YOU!!!! :D

Madison
xxxREDxxx

Project Question: I have recently veiwed your page on "Are fingerprint patterns inherited" and I am very interested in this. However after reading through it I have come to the conclusion of it being a little too simple for my grade/abillities. The reason for my enquiry is that i was wondering how to take it just one step further, but not enough to over-complicate things for my brain. Thank you for your time
Project Due Date: March the 3rd
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences