Banana RIpening Process

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Banana RIpening Process

Postby prih 123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi, I have done a project that involves banana ripening. For eac h tested banana, I have cut them up into equal thirds and blended them up in order to get a sugar content reading by using a refractometer. I have found that the piece closest to the end (stock piece) has consistently been the ripest piece. I was just wondering if there was any explanation to why this might be.

Thank you for any help. :D
prih 123

Project Question: I have taken bananas and recorded how they ripen based on three sections of each banana. I have found that the stock piece (end piece) ripens the fastest.
Project Due Date: February 8th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Banana RIpening Process

Postby heatherL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi prih 123,

What an interesting result! Bananas ripen because they give off ethylene gas, but I am not sure why the piece closest to the end (stalk?) would always ripen the fastest. Did you store all of your bananas in the same orientation? Was each banana separated, such that the gas might seep through the stalk more easily than the intact end?

You may not be able to answer your question directly, but if you do a bit of background research, you can speculate about your results.

Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby prih 123 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 pm

hi heatherl,

Thanks for your input. its a very interesting topic and I am just trying to connect the dots to show some relevance in my data. I put two sets of bananas into two plastic containers at serperate times and the bananas would not be cut until they were taken out of the container and used for the experiment.

It has been difficult to search this topic on the three individual pieces because not much information is present, which seems like this is a unique concept to the fruit ripening process as a whole. It would be great if I could show through my data why this takes place. Anyways, thanks for the help and I'll keep doing research!
prih 123

Project Question: I have taken bananas and recorded how they ripen based on three sections of each banana. I have found that the stock piece (end piece) ripens the fastest.
Project Due Date: February 8th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Postby heatherL » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 am

Hi prih 123,

This is wonderful, because it looks like you have gotten a novel (brand new) result! I did a Google search for "banana ripening pattern" and found some rather complicated scientific papers looking at gene expression patterns. This one, however, looked at proteins: http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/98/1/157.full.pdf. Maybe the cells near the stalk express the ripening proteins first.

Ultimately, if you are unable to find anything about this phenomenon, it may be that you are the first one to really study it. That is really exciting!

Please keep me posted on your progress.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences