Optical Illusion Project Suggestions

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Optical Illusion Project Suggestions

Postby a11123rd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:02 am

Hi! I need a Science Fair project idea ASAP that is about Illusions, and is creative and challenging. I am in 10th grade and always do a behavioral project that really WOWs the judges minds. Please help; for I have been searching for months for a creative challenging idea/ question and experiment I can do and nothing has come up! Thank you, Amber

[Moderator note: Question has been moved to its own thread for better support.]
a11123rd

Project Question: What are the independent an dependent variables for the question "Does fear change with age and how?"
Project Due Date: 3/5/10
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Optical Illusion Project Suggestions

Postby donnahardy2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi,

Here is blog from the Science Buddies website that includes an example of an optical illusion project that won a “Best Visual Illusion of the Year,” contest. Included in the blog is a list of several other optical illusion projects that you could consider. I would recommend reading through all of these projects and pick one for your project. Since this is a science project, don’t forget to start with the scientific principle that your project will be based on.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/2011 ... -there.php

I hope this helps.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby a11123rd » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:24 am

Thank you; But I'm still not sure what type of creative and challenging question to use to base my project on?
a11123rd

Project Question: What are the independent an dependent variables for the question "Does fear change with age and how?"

Postby heatherL » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi there,

The question you ask should really be based on your particluar interests. As Donna suggested, start by looking through the projects on the ScienceBuddies blog. If you pick a few (or even just one) idea that interests you, let us know, and we can help you make it more challenging and/or creative.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby a11123rd » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi! I would like to base my project on the opticial illusions of life, and how they are affected. Things such as gender, age categories, ect.
a11123rd

Postby donnahardy2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi,

I’m not sure I understand what you are thinking about doing. Can you explain?

Did you find a project that interests you? Here are some visual illusions that test how the brain and eyes function. Perhaps you could do a project and ask a number of individuals what they see using a specific visual illusion. You could compare results based on gender, age, or visual ability. This would make an excellent project.

http://library.thinkquest.org/28030/illude.htm

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby a11123rd » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:37 am

HI! Thanks for the website; I have the following survey; but I still need some sort of twist to throw on it that is creative. For example; last years project was "Decisions, Decisions, Judging a Book by its cover?" My twist was that I used politics, and saw if liberals, centrists, and conservatives agreed with a statement that was geared towards them without knowing it. I need someway to do something creative fresh and new with ilusions or illusions of life. I am still open to all behavioral science suggestion.(Ones that are creative, fresh and new) I want something to be as amazing of a project as last year. No one had the project that I did even out of the 1000 projects at State Science Day. Thank you, Amber
Age_______ Gender______ Right or Left Handed Group ________

Notes: You may see more than one thing! If so write down both so that I can figure the results.

Illusion#1(Literal) Able to see Illusion What do you see
1. 2. YES or NO 3.

Illusion#2(Phisiological)
1. 2. YES or NO 3.

Illusion#3(Cognitive)
1. 2. YES or NO 3.

Illusion#4(Ambiguous Cognitive)
1. 2. YES or NO 3.

Illusion#5(Distorting Cognitive)
1. 2. YES or NO 3.Are the lines straight?

Illusion#6(Paradox Cognitive)
1. 2. YES or NO 3.

Illusion#7(Fictional Cognitive)
1. 2. YES or NO 3.

Sorry the pictures under each category(Illusions) won't show up on this page. I'm not sure what type of tiwst to add; I DON'T want my project to be like all the other peoples' who have done Illusions. That's why I loved how no one had my project last year. It was creative, fun, new and caught the Judges Eye.
a11123rd

Postby a11123rd » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:22 am

Or, what could I do with the following question to make it new, fresh, WOW to the judges, different. and never been done?
The difference between various groups in overcoming visual illusions to determine what is really there.
a11123rd

Postby donnahardy2 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi,

This seems like a creative approach to your subject. Even though I can’t see the images, I like the fact that you are using different types of illusions. Perhaps your creative twist can be in the analysis of the data that you obtain. Or, since you seem to be using visual illusions, perhaps you could add an eye test to the data. Sometimes the difference between the top winning project and others is in the execution of the details in the experiment.

Since you did a project involving humans last year, you probably had informed consent forms. But just in case you didn’t, here is the information on this topic from the Science Buddies website:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ects.shtml

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby a11123rd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Thank you for your help. Do you have any more ideas on something creative to add to wow the judges? I am very scared that the judges will not be as impressed with this years project since illusions are done alot; for I need it to be really great and creative. Also, any suggestions on a title that is catchy and creative? Thanks! Amber
a11123rd

Postby donnahardy2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi Amber,

Your project is original because of the variety of illusions you are including in the study. I can't think of anything specific you can do, except to concentrate on doing the best job possible on your own project. Your project will be judged compared to others that are entered, and there's nothing you can do to change the competition. I have seen final judging be very close on well done projects, and sometimes it's the small details that make the difference in the final decision.

For a title, how about,

"Is it real or fiction?"
"Is there a gender affect response to different illusions?" (Sorry, not creative)
"Is life an illusion?"
"Can you identify hand preference or gender using illusions?"

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby amyc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi Amber - Donna has given you some excellent advice regarding your project, and some good suggestions for titles. It sounds like you are well down the path for designing your experimental procedure, but since you are still looking for possible angles to your project, I wanted to mention that there are a number of projects on the Science Buddies site that deal with optical and visual illusions.

While none of these projects may map specifically to what you have planned, by looking over these projects and considering any variations provided (at the bottom of each one), you might find something that will be helpful as you shape your study.

Here are two:
Now You See It, Now You Don't: A Chromatic Adaptation Project
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p008.shtml

and
Apparent Motion & Animation
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p041.shtml

Links to a number of related Project Ideas appear in this Science Buddies blog post: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/2011 ... -there.php

That blog post was about the Best Visual Illusion of 2011 contest winners, so you might find it interesting to link through and look at the winning illusions!

Good luck with your project.

Amy
Science Buddies
amyc
Site Admin

Project Question: N/A

Postby a11123rd » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:03 pm

I don't want this project to be a study about illusions(Magic Tricks), however I want to use 1 of each type of illusion to test my theories. with that being said, and after looking and deeply reading into all of your comments, I have chosen a few possible MAIN questions for my title; "Does age and gender affect how our mind perceives reality?" , "Do you and eye see eye to eye?", "Perceiving, Seeing, Believing; A study of the eye", or "Does our mind affect how we see reality?". Or leave it to say "Does the eye affect how our mind perceives reality?" The last thing I want to do is confuse the judges on what my project is about. what are your thoughts? Thank You so much, I appreciate all of your inputs! Amber
a11123rd

Postby heatherL » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi Amber,

It sounds like your project is coming along! You have come up with several creative titles. I think the best way to impress the judges is to include the details along with the creativity. Thus, if you will be looking at differences in age and gender, it would help to include it in the title. You might try combining your titles, to get something like, "Do you and I see eye to eye? The effects of age and gender on visual perception."

Keep up the good work!

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?

Postby donnahardy2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi,

I think you have achieved your goal of having a creative project, and an ulterior motive behind the project. Very creative! I think that Heather’s combination of two of your titles will make the purpose of the project clear to the judges. Since you are using several illusions, you will have lots of data, so it might be helpful to plan to include a short abstract right after your title. You are making good progress.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Next

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences