NEED AN IDEA? (marfan syndrome)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

NEED AN IDEA? (marfan syndrome)

Postby alexshay14 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:20 pm

My science teacher gave us the ability to design a project on practically anything, but it needs to be something that you have a passion for. My little sister was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome a few years ago. I really want to take this idea and design a project around it. The project must have an outcome. Any ideas on what I should do?
Thanks!
alexshay14

Project Question: marfan syndrome (need an idea for research project?)
Project Due Date: April 1st
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: NEED AN IDEA? (marfan syndrome)

Postby ktsshao » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Alexshay14,

Have you considered centering a project around genetics? Since Marfan Syndrome is such a complicated disorder, I'm not sure what aspect of it you want to focus on--but I suggest looking into a molecular biology/bioinformatics approach. If you choose your topic wisely, all you'll need is your computer and some patience (forming phylogenetic trees, aligning sequences, etc) to create an outstanding project--and with similarly impressive results.

First, take a look at the SB ideas forum: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/recommender_interest_area.php?isb=cmlkOjEzNDAyNTE4LHNpZDowLHA6MSxpYTpHZW5vbQ and maybe bookmark a few that looks interesting to you. Then come back and post 3-4 ideas you'd like us to consider with you, and we'll go on from there.

Hope that helps!
Best,
Ktsshao
ktsshao
Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences