NOx Cage

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

NOx Cage

Postby JScott » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:04 am

I have found that mono-nitrogen oxide or NOx is a mixture of NO and NO2. I am wondering if using heat or combustion is possible to break the cage around NOx in order to bring out the oxygen molecule.
JScott

Project Question: Is it possible to collect smog and use it as a source of energy?
Project Due Date: May 20, 2014
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: NOx Cage

Postby Terik Daly » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi JScott,

Can you please clarify what you mean by "break the cage around NOx"? NOx is, as you point out, not one chemical, but a mixture of NO and NO2. If you want to liberate the oxygen(s) from NO or NO2, then you would need to break the bonds between the nitrogen and oxygen atom(s). But, I'm not sure what you are referring to as a cage. So, if you can explain that in a bit more detail, we'll be able to be more helpful to you!

All the best,
Terik
All the best,
Terik
Terik Daly
Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby JScott » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:43 am

I looked into the chemical structure of NOx and had found a an article: http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/nosensorpix.htm. Upon examination, I had noticed that there is a "cage" like structure and what I would like to do is break the cage, use a form of energy or catalyst to separate the Nitrogen away form the Oxygen. Then releasing O2 into the air; i had originally thought of using algae to go through photosynthesis. Although photosynthesis is an easier alternative, I was wondering if it's possible to use a chemical to separate the nitrogen and Oxygen?
JScott

Project Question: Is it possible to collect smog and use it as a source of energy?

Postby Terik Daly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 am

Hi JScott,

Thanks for sharing that link - it helps a ton! The "cage" around the NOx molecules isn't actually part of NOx. NO and NO2 are the blue and white molecules inside the "cage". The researchers in that article designed the "cage" to trap NOx molecules as part of the sensor they were developing. So, breaking the molecules out of the cage is not the same thing as separating the oxygen and nitrogen atoms. You can see molecular structures of NO and NO2 at the upper right of these two Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_oxide

Nitric oxide forms when oxygen and nitrogen gases react at high temperatures, like those in internal combustion engines. Nitrogen dioxide forms when nitric oxide is oxidized. It is possible to separate the atoms from one another, with the right conditions.

What was your idea about photosynthesis?
All the best,
Terik
Terik Daly
Expert

Postby JScott » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Hello Terik Daly,

Well first I would like to thank you for taking the time out to read and then respond to my posts, it is greatly appreciated. My original idea was to build a machine that would use the processes of photosynthesis to either take in CO2, NOx, or NO2 to convert it into energy, then releasing O2. The problem is the process of photosynthesis is a bit tricky to duplicate unless a form of energy or the combining of chemicals is used. So i backtracked and decided to absorb the smog instead using algae. Then using the used algae into a renewable source that isn't fuel.
JScott

Postby Terik Daly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 am

Hi JScott,

I'm happy to help. That's what we Experts are here for!

It sounds like were thinking of reproducing photosynthesis outside a plant, which is something many people have thought about. It's a tricky problem. One thing to keep in mind is that photosynthesis doesn't make energy from nothing. It requires an energy input in the form of photons, which the cell converts to chemical potential energy through a series of oxidation-reduction reactions. It is a multi-step process. So, replicating photosynthesis outside the cell definitely takes a form of energy (photons) and the combining of chemicals--that's what it happens inside the cell, too. Keep in mind that energy is always conserved.

Some kinds of plants are used to remediate environmental contamination, and you might be able to design an experiment that explores that avenue. Try a Google search for "bioremediation" and see if that sounds like an interesting topic. If so, brainstorm some questions you think would make an interesting science project. This Science Buddies page has excellent information about formulating a question:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... tion.shtml

If you want to, you can then post your brainstormed questions here and we can help you design an experiment to answer one of them.
All the best,
Terik
Terik Daly
Expert

Postby JScott » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Hello Terik Daly,

Well thank you for the input; I shall now be conducting my experiment testing algae and photochemical smog.
JScott

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science