Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: Help

Postby Jacobie09 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Internet research is very helpful indeed, BUT I've noticed that most teachers want you too use books to show that you are working hard.
The subject I hate is the subject I love: Math
Jacobie09

Project Question: Not applicable: I do random projects all the time just for fun (although I turn in all my results)
Project Due Date: Not applicable
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Ashun » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:53 am

I don't think books will be more helping me.yes, I'm searching for magzines,journels,science reports(as Donna says). Yeah! I've selected very interesting topic.

O.k, how should I collect datas for the better result?
Thanks!
Ashun
Ashun

Project Question: What is better to do for my project i.e "Energy exploration,harness & conservation".
Project Due Date: 1st october 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:56 am

Hi Ashun,

John has given you some really good suggestions for finding the scientific papers that you need for this project. You need to find any scientific source of information that will help you learn more about your subject, and use as a basis for designing your experiment. John is correct; a university library would be the best place to find the complete articles.

And Jacobie has also brought up a good point about the class assignments. Your teacher wants you to go through the process of finding pertinent background information for your project. You need to understand the scientific principle behind your project and usually a good science textbook will provide that information. But you also need recent scientific articles for specific details, and also to give you an idea of how to set up an experiment that will give you measurable results.

Here is an example of how you can proceed. First, do an internet search for "Google scholar," and then type in your search terms, for example "incineration of plastic." This will bring up a list of scientific articles with no commercials. Unfortunately, as John has pointed out, most of the complete articles are not available, but reading the abstracts should be helpful and you should be able to find some complete articles to read.

Here is an abstract that describes the design of a new machine that will pull up plastic mulch from a soil bed of strawberry or pepper plants and incinerate it. Please note that the project was not successful and the machine method did not improve manual methods of plastic mulch removal. So this would be a great topic for you to investigate. It's a problem that still needs to be solved. Perfect subject for a science project!

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 8v06n01_03

Here is an abstract that includes the tables and figures from the paper. This research report describes a research project that optimized the dehydrochlorination of plastic as it is incinerated. This is an interesting chemistry problem. Please note the data included in the graphs. This is the type of measurable result that you need for your project board.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7098001247

And here is an article that you can download and see all of the details. This was an investigation on the incomplete combustion of plastic waste as it is incinerated in a kiln. Please note the detailed protocol in the article. The primary purpose of this article is to describe a method for measuring the problem, but the authors do not offer a solution to the problem of incomplete combustion of the plastics. Again, this is another problem that needs to be solved by additional scientific research, perhaps in your science project.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1 ... 7.10466202

I hope these examples will give you a good idea on how to proceed. You have not explained exactly what problem you are trying to solve, so please let us know what you want to do.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby John Dreher » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Awesome work, Donna.

Jacobie, this site is not the place to discuss creationism. It would be courteous to remove the reference to this topic from your signature.
John Dreher
Expert

Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby Jacobie09 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:48 pm

No disrespect meant when I say this. Since this is a science site, don't I have the right to say that? I might be wrong, but this is a GOOD place to put that.
Jacobie09

Project Question: Not applicable: I do random projects all the time just for fun (although I turn in all my results)

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi John,

Thanks!

Jacobie,

I agree with John. We're very serious about science projects on this website and we are trying to help everyone who needs help be successful with their project. It's OK to post comments on other students threads as long as you are trying to be helpful. However, the reference to creationism is distracting and not really appropriate for this site, and especially not in someone else's thread. You are correct, you have the right to say what you want, but John was just pointing out that this is not the right place for statements on creationism.

Ashun,

Your project is very important! Please let us know if you have any questions about the last post I made. I know it's a lot of information to go through, but I think it will help you be successful with your project. Be sure to let me know what resources you have available, because I'm sure that you will have to adapt the experimental design.

Donna
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby Jacobie09 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but I will remove it. Sorry if I've made a disturbance.
Jacobie09

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Jacobie,

Thanks!

Donna
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby Jacobie09 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:47 pm

I guess we just added a whole lot of Off Topic posts. Sorry Ashun.
Jacobie09

Postby Ashun » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Nice collections of sites(it's really helping) Donna!
But unfortunately I've not acess to any library & full articles are unavailable.
O.k, I'm working to get more energy or electricity from these
wastes(theme of the project) including that I will be able to reduce it's ill effects on environment(i.e environmental problems will be treated as the main problem in the project).

Is it true that complete combustion releases only co2 & water particles?
I wonder if complete combustion of plastics are possible.
Thanks!
Ashun
Ashun

Project Question: What is better to do for my project i.e "Energy exploration,harness & conservation".

Postby donnahardy2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Ashun,

It’s OK if you don’t have access to a library. You can still have a great project. Reading the abstracts on this subject will help you understand what is being done on the subject. Have you tried doing any more searches in Google scholar?

Also, producing more energy and reducing the environmental effects of incinerating plastic are two separate major projects. I think you are trying to do too much! Try to narrow your topic so you are only working on one project. Remember the paper from my last post; the paper only documented the problem of incomplete incineration of plastics.

Here is an abstract only, which compares energy production from 4 different methods, including incinerating plastic:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 8103003951

Here is a patent from 1986 describing an incinerator system. Can you think of a better design? This could be an engineering project.

http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en&lr= ... ic&f=false

Here’s an abstract that evaluates the best way to recover energy from the plastic used in discarded TV sets. You can look at the figures and tables to get an idea of what was done to measure results.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2606003465

Here is the first page of an article on incineration of municipal solid wastes to produce energy. An e-mail address for the primary author is included. Why don’t you write to the author and request additional information?

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n21m81771783r17t/

Why don’t you visit your local landfill site and find out what is happening with plastic wastes in your community. Perhaps you could identify a topic that would benefit your community.

Does this give you any ideas?

Donna
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby Ashun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:42 am

I was not on net for a long time.
O.k, just I had to participate in state level science congress for the same project.
Yeah! I was selected for state awardee.
Now, I've got chance to get participate in national level.
Thanks Donna & sc. Buddies for kind help & important links.
My presentation will be on 27th of December.

Yes, about narrowing the project, I want to say that ENERGY is the central theme.
And if we make use of these wastes to produce energy, then we will be automatically able to solve it's environmental problems.
Most of your links were really exceiting & I'm trying more on G.Scholar.
Thank u!
Ashun

Postby John Dreher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 am

Congratulations, Ashun and best wishes for the nationals.
John Dreher
Expert

Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby Ashun » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks, thanks a lot.
Ashun

Postby donnahardy2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Ashun,

I would like to send my congratulations to you as well. This is really good news that you won at the state level, and I know that was a lot of work. Good luck to you at the nationals! Please let us know if you need any more advice.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science