Any Websites with Data?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Any Websites with Data?

Postby Limobean » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 pm

I am doing an experiment with iodine and oils. I am measuring the number drops of iodine it takes for it to discolour in certain oils.
I have found this experiment on a few websites, but they don't have any results or data which I can compare my results to.

Does anyone know of any sites? Thanks!
Limobean

Project Question: Measuring Saturation of Fats Amounts In Different Oils Using Iodine
Project Due Date: November 2
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Any Websites with Data?

Postby wendellwiggins » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:08 am

Hello Limobean.

If you search for "Iodine Value" you should turn up several web pages. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_value. This page gives the Iodine Value for several oils.

WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Limobean » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks, but my school doesnt have the materials to do the experiments to calculate iodine value and they won't order it.
Limobean

Project Question: Measuring Saturation of Fats Amounts In Different Oils Using Iodine
Project Due Date: November 2
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby wendellwiggins » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 am

Limobean,

I'm confused. In your first message, you say, "...they don't have any results or data which I can compare my results to." This suggests that you have results, but in your last message, you say you don't even have materials. Please explain.

You can get the materials easily. You need just iodine, oils, and a method to measure the amounts of oil and iodine used in each test. You can buy measuring tools at any kitchen supply store. Iodine can be obtained, for example at http://www.amazon.com/J-CROWS%C2%AE-Lugols-Solution-Iodine-2%25/dp/B001AEFM9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350831913&sr=8-1&keywords=iodine.

Please let me know how your experiment progresses. WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science