Grape expectations inquiry lab

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Grape expectations inquiry lab

Postby howekezi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:10 pm

so, I had a lab and it was "the effect of the concentration of a salt solution on the time it takes a grape to fall to the bottom of a 100 mL graduated cylinder." well my class didn't do the hypothesis before and the teacher told us to just dive in, and then gave is the assignment to complete the whole lab. Well typical enough I am having a really hard time writing the hypothesis -.- because I know what happens and the teacher said we're not aloud to use I,WE, YOU stuff like that, well how am I suppose to write a hypothesis if I cant say those things! just don't judge!
howekezi

Project Question: The effect of the concentration of a salt solution on the time to fall to the bottom of a 100 mL graduated cylinder.
Project Due Date: thursday october 18, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Grape expectations inquiry lab

Postby Ivana_VT » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:29 pm

What were the results of the lab?
Ivana_VT

Project Question: How does the type of liver (beef vs. pork vs. chicken) affect the rate of the reaction, involving the break down of hydrogen peroxide by the enzyme catalase?
Project Due Date: October 17, 2012

Postby howekezi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 pm

at 1 g it took 10.6 sec.
so i went to 3 grams of salt and got 12.8 sec.
6 grams-30.1 seconds
5 grams -18.4 sec
howekezi

Project Question: The effect of the concentration of a salt solution on the time to fall to the bottom of a 100 mL graduated cylinder.
Project Due Date: thursday october 18, 2012

Postby audreyln » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 am

Writing a hypothesis can be very difficult and writing one after you've done the experiment is tricky. Technically you should write it before your experiment and then use your experiment to test your hypothesis.

Here's a great resource for developing a hypothesis:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#keyinfo

My favorite way to write a hypothesis is a "If-then" statement.I'm sure you can develop a great hypothesis without the use of I, we, or you using this method. (Some of the example at this link use those words but not all of them.) Good luck!
audreyln
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science