weight placement & force

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

weight placement & force

Postby K-Man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Can someone help me find some background info for my science fair project? I am trying to determine if the placement of weights in a block of wood (front, middle, back)would affect the amount of force needed to pull the block of wood up an inclined plane of various heights and various surface textures.
K-Man

Project Question: Trying to determine if the placement of weights on a wood block affects the force needed to pull the block up an inclined plane of varying heights and varying surface textures
Project Due Date: November 6, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: weight placement & force

Postby Goldenzenith » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi K-Man!

If I'm reading your plan correctly (I had a little trouble visualizing it), you might be interested in doing research on simple machines, a basic device that applies force and often changes its direction, strength, or distance over which it is applied. You've seen simple machines before, I'm sure: inclined planes, levers, wedges, etc. Obviously, the inclined plane is what you'll be looking at the most in-depth.

As for the "various surface textures," you might be referring to friction. You will need to find some sources on both static and kinetic friction. Static friction is the resisting force you need to overcome in order to begin pulling the block of wood up from its initial position, whereas kinetic friction is the force resisting the actual motion of the block (after you've overcome static friction).

If you do a Google search on the above terms and concepts, I'm sure you'll find plenty of information! Good luck! :)
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert
Goldenzenith
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: weight placement & force

Postby K-Man » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Goldenzenith wrote:Hi K-Man!

If I'm reading your plan correctly (I had a little trouble visualizing it), you might be interested in doing research on simple machines, a basic device that applies force and often changes its direction, strength, or distance over which it is applied. You've seen simple machines before, I'm sure: inclined planes, levers, wedges, etc. Obviously, the inclined plane is what you'll be looking at the most in-depth.

As for the "various surface textures," you might be referring to friction. You will need to find some sources on both static and kinetic friction. Static friction is the resisting force you need to overcome in order to begin pulling the block of wood up from its initial position, whereas kinetic friction is the force resisting the actual motion of the block (after you've overcome static friction).

If you do a Google search on the above terms and concepts, I'm sure you'll find plenty of information! Good luck! :)

Thanks Goldenzenith! I'll let you know how I come out.
K-Man

Project Question: Trying to determine if the placement of weights on a wood block affects the force needed to pull the block up an inclined plane of varying heights and varying surface textures
Project Due Date: November 6, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science