global warming v.s. global dimming

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

global warming v.s. global dimming

Postby nfadell » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:53 am

Hey everyone,

I don't know if I had to register or whatever to do this, but what the heck, I did it anyway. My science fair topic is about global dimming. I basically want to see if global dimming really ties in with and slows global warming. There is a lot of controversy on the subject and that's why I'm doing this project. I have a basic idea on how I want to go about doing this: I have two chambers (I don't know what they will be yet, but you get the idea). One with air and so-and-so amount of carbon dioxide, and one with the same amount of carbon dioxide and air plus soot and other things that contribute to global dimming. I put both of these under a heat lamp for a period of time and then measure the temperature increase in each one of them. But here's the catch: I have to have 3O TRIALS. :shock: . If I'm to leave this under a heat lamp for a period of time, it will take a very LONG TIME to get all of my testing done. If anyone has any suggestions, questions, comments, concerns, etc., please post and let me know. Thanks!
nfadell

Project Question: To see if global dimming really cools the earth and slows global warming
Project Due Date: February 11, although I'd like to finish before then
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: global warming v.s. global dimming

Postby wendellwiggins » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 am

Hello nfadell,

While the plain greenhouse effect is very simple and well-understood, constructing a laboratory experiment that is relevant to the global atmosphere is a very difficult task. Make your experiment as simple as possible.

Yes, making 30 observations will take time. Start by setting up and recording your measurements at short periods. Determine just how long it takes for the numbers to settle down. This will tell you just how long you need to wait after changing the conditions before recording the data.

BTW, the greenhouse effect involves the conversion of visible light to infrared at the earth's surface, so I would think you would use a light bulb instead of a heat lamp.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: global warming v.s. global dimming

Postby nfadell » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Hello wendellwiggins,

Gee, thanks! I'll take your advice, and I've found myself a mentor and things are going great. Thanks!
nfadell

Project Question: To see if global dimming really cools the earth and slows global warming
Project Due Date: February 11, although I'd like to finish before then
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science