Auditory Perception: Frequency Range and Human Voice

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Auditory Perception: Frequency Range and Human Voice

Postby powells2 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:34 pm

I need help locating academic journals and other sources relating to my project question.

Question: What is the frequency range of human perception and how does it relate the the frequency of human voice?

Anything related to:

decibels (dB)
sound frequency (Hz)
threshold of hearing
auditory system
frequency of human voice

...would be helpful.

Thanks!
powells2

Project Question: what is the frequency range of human perception and how does it correspond the frequency of human voice?
Project Due Date: October 20th, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: What is the frequency range of human perception and how

Postby John Dreher » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

For starters, look up each of the terms you listed in Wikipedia. Not only will you learn a lot about acoustics, the references will be useful leads into the technical literature.

In order to find scholarly articles on the web, you may search using Google Scholar. It's at

http://scholar.google.com/schhp?hl=en

but I think you will find that the references returned are so technical as to be worthless for your likely needs, plus most articles either require that you access them through a library that has a subscription, i.e. a university library, or that you pay a lot to see each article.

My suspicion is that modern scholarly journals will carry articles that assume you already know the basics of acoustics. You will probably do better by visiting a college or university library and looking at textbooks written at various levels from beginning lower division courses to graduate-level research-oriented courses.

Good luck hunting!
John Dreher
Expert

Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science