My Soccer Project: Official Thread

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

My Soccer Project: Official Thread

Postby Jacobie09 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Most of the frequent and more active posters know about my soccer project and I've unfortunately neglected to keep them all in one thread but I'm now redirecting them all to here.
The subject I hate is the subject I love: Math
Jacobie09

Project Question: Not applicable: I do random projects all the time just for fun (although I turn in all my results)
Project Due Date: Not applicable
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: My Soccer Project: Official Thread

Postby Jacobie09 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:52 am

I've now completed the basics of the project and have found out that right-footed shooters have a higher average of goals at an seventy degree angle. Lefties have a higher average of goals at a 110 degree angle. This was what is expected seeing that shots from right-footed shooters would curve a little to the left and vise-verso for left-footed shooters.
Jacobie09

Project Question: Not applicable: I do random projects all the time just for fun (although I turn in all my results)

Postby AstroPie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm

if you wanted to add on to this project you could also add velocity into your project, ex displacement devided by time.

Also if you don't know what STDEV (Standard Deviation) I recomend looking it up and learning how to use it. It would work great with your project and many people would think your project is great just because you are using it.
AstroPie

Project Question: I would like to base my project on AstroPhysics, I have thought about looking at Cosmology/Cosmic Inflation, but I really have no idea where to go with it, especially since I live where there aren't any labratories, can you help come up with ideas?
Project Due Date: My Regional Science Fair will be sometime in March, but I am planning on attending National Science Fair for a second year which is in May; I have lots of time but lots to do.
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby Jacobie09 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks. I'll think about it.
Jacobie09

Postby TheScienceJerk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 am

You might want to consider something along the lines of how the force of wind might redirect the course of the ball. Then you could talk about Newton's First Law.

[Edited by administration.]
Everybody worries about 'becoming' a jerk, but if you're a jerk to begin with, you don't have to worry about ever becoming one.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Project Question: What are the best growth conditions for lima beans(variables: light, soil type, and water)?
Project Due Date: January 7th, 2013.
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Postby Jacobie09 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks.

[Edited to remove names/identifying information.]
Jacobie09

Postby svittachi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:13 pm

You could also take a look at the distance the shooter was away from the goal and the angle from which the shooter was kicking in relation to the goal as opposed to the ground.
svittachi

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby TheScienceJerk » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 am

Okay, sounds reasonable. Should I also add a goally? Seeing that I cannot control that variable (of having a goally) because the goally might be tired and won't function the same way every time. Correct?
Everybody worries about 'becoming' a jerk, but if you're a jerk to begin with, you don't have to worry about ever becoming one.

-TheScienceJerk (TSJ)
TheScienceJerk

Project Question: What are the best growth conditions for lima beans(variables: light, soil type, and water)?
Project Due Date: January 7th, 2013.
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science