need information about science fair project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

need information about science fair project

Postby tani67 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 am

this is my science fair project topic: "Get the Lead Out: Explore the Effects of pH on Lead Testing" and i'm not sure about the purpose of using pH on this experiment.

[Administrator added: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p080.shtml ]
tani67

Project Question: on the "Get the Lead Out: Explore the Effects of pH on Lead Testing" experiment what is the purpose of using the pH.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: need information about science fair project

Postby drowningfish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Hello,

I would suggest reading the "Background" tab for your experiment carefully. It provides a pretty good explanation of the role of measuring pH in this experiment. I know it may seem like a lot and may be overwhelming, but it is very important to read the entire lab first before you start. You never know, maybe you will miss a crucial step or make a mistake on the timing because you did not read it first.

From a quick glance at the descriptions, it seems to me like you would be dissolving solid lead to form lead ions by using vinegar. The vinegar solutions you would use vary in their acidity. This is where the pH comes in--to measure acidity.
The goal of this chemistry science fair project is to determine how varying the pH of the test solution affects its ability to dissolve lead, which is a critical step if the lead is to be successfully detected.

This seems like a very fun chemistry project! Good luck on it and please don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions.
drowningfish
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: need information about science fair project

Postby tani67 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:09 pm

thank you :D
tani67

Project Question: on the "Get the Lead Out: Explore the Effects of pH on Lead Testing" experiment what is the purpose of using the pH.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science