Chemistry Lab

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Chemistry Lab

Postby scw24vt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:13 pm

I need to know how many moles of stomach acid are required to digest an average first-world meal.
scw24vt

Project Question: I am doing an experiment with stomach acid and the role it plays in the digestion of food. I need to know how many moles of stomach acid are required to digest an average first-world meal.
Project Due Date: 11/11
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Chemistry Lab

Postby wendellwiggins » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Hello scw24vt,

The idea of a science project is to do experiments to determine the answer to your question. I don't know the numerical answer to your question. Even if I did, just reporting my number wouldn't make a research project.

Do you have a more specific question about your experiment?

If you set up an experiment to measure the answer and have problems with the design and/or functioning of the experiment, maybe we can provide some useful comments.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Chemistry Lab

Postby rkpingali » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:33 pm

As WW points out, you need to come up with a design for your project. For eg., I assume that you are going to do this in-vitro, meaning outside the stomach (in a petri dish). You'd need to research into the pH and the type of the stomach acid, get a sample of the same type of the acid to conduct the experiment. You can keep the amount of the acid as an independent variable and find the amount that gives you the desired result. That amount can be used to calculate the number of moles.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Raji Pingali
rkpingali
Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science