help with experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

help with experiment

Postby leila101 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:26 pm

My topic is "Which Has More Effect on the Freezing Point of Water?Salt or Sugar.I have done everything but my experiment because, thermometers were needed to take the temperature of the different waters(salt water and sugar water).The thermometers couldn't go in the freezer so now I need to find a new way toconduct my experiment.
leila101

Project Question: which has more effect on the freezing point of water? salt or sugar.
Project Due Date: november 30, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: help with experiment

Postby Lashay90 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Sorry but I cant help with that. I wish I could. If you would have did something like Do Sugar Cubes Dissolve Faster in Cold Water or Warm Water, then I could've helped you
Lashay90

Project Question: My project is on the dehydrated potatoe and I need help coming up with research and a hypothesis. Can you help ?
Project Due Date: December 6, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby Craig_Bridge » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:02 am

There are several companies that make inexpensive "freezer thermometers" that cost between $3 and $10. Taylor, AcuRite, ECKO, and others. Part of picking a Science Fair Project is figuring out what test equipment you need to run the experiment.
-Craig
Craig_Bridge
Expert

Postby rkpingali » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 pm

You need a thermometer that can measure below freezing point of water (0 degree Celsius). One way to test this would be to quickly take the sample out of the freezer for measurement, measure the temperature, and put it back.

I suspect that you can't leave your thermometer in the freezer for extended periods of time, however, keeping the freezer door open for a few seconds while you measure the temperature can be considered as an option.

Make sure to read the manufacturer's information and recommendation while using thermometers in sub-zero temperatures.

Good Luck
Raji Pingali
rkpingali
Expert

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science