Water to fuel to water problem with breadboard

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Water to fuel to water problem with breadboard

Postby rubberball » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:10 am

I am doing the experiment of separating hydrogen and oxygen. I built a galvaxistat and it reads about 36 volts... I tried to wire the breadboard, with 10k resistor, but when I plug in the volt meter the voltage jumps around from 20 to 70 volts, I must have something miss wired. I copied the location of the wires on the bread board from a how to on this site but still can't get it right. Is there a example of where each wire should be connected on the breadboard?

Thanks for your help.
rubberball

Project Question: is the a kit that I can purchase for the Water to Fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future project?
Project Due Date: December 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Water to fuel to water problem with breadboard

Postby rmarz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:20 pm

rubberball - I believe his experiment uses four 9V batteries connected in series. You should read about 38 volts with fresh batteries across the connected batteries. When you use the breadboard the voltage should never jump above 38 volts. Are you using the correct range on the meter? I've attached a simplified schematic of this project. A solderless breadboard is a convenient way to make connections between several components. Typically, there are several rows of contacts, and the contacts in each row or 'island' are connected. The 'islands' are isolated from each other giving you many tie points to make connections. Make sure you understand how your breadboard's contacts are arranged or you might be short circuiting parts of your experiment.

Rick Marz
Attachments
SB cell experiment.pdf
(15.09 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby rubberball » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:09 am

So should I put everything on the same row?
rubberball

Project Question: is the a kit that I can purchase for the Water to Fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future project?

Postby rmarz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:34 am

rubberball - Most solderless breadboards are very similar, and once you understand how the rows and busses are connected, you will have few problems. If you don't have the original instructions for the breadboard, here is a link to an instructional slide show. It explains the board very well and you can probably understand how your board works. When in doubt, use your multimeter in the ohms or continuity scale to verify connections or isolation between the islands of connecting points.

http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/View ... ?ID=eng701

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby rubberball » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks so much. This really helped me figure out what I was doing wrong

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lqw6ask5 ... qw6ask5HK0
rubberball

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science