Resonant Energy Transfer

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Resonant Energy Transfer

Postby Alexander96 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey guys I am new here... I am researching the science behind wireless power does anyone have any good leads where I can start and write my Background research report?
Alexander96

Project Question: Science behind wireless power
Project Due Date: January
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Resonant Energy Transfer

Postby Craig_Bridge » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 am

Alexander96 wrote: I am researching the science behind wireless power

Please start a new topic. When you do, it would be helpful if you described what "wireless power" means to you in terms of what uses you are intending to research.
-Craig
Craig_Bridge
Expert

Postby Alexander96 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:32 pm

I am sorry I will do so but how do I start a new topic? I appreciate any help, thanks.
Alexander96

Postby Alexander96 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Ok i really can't figure out how to start a new topic-sorry, but basically my teacher wanted me to do "elevate" topic and he accepted my topic on wireless. He said that I could research it but would have to come up with an experiment to back it up since he doesn't want it to be simply a research project. So as I researched wireless power transmittance I realized its extremely convoluted but I have no lee-way in my topic. My background I thought was mediocre but it there that I decided that I was going to construct a generator capable of wirelessly powering a device. I am not sure yet what kind of device and I only vaguely understand this concept. I would greatly appreciate any help; especially useful would be someone who knows of an article that might explain what I am looking for simply (I found none-only very intricate work done by MIT / Cornell on this topic. I am also more urgently seeking aid please, for an idea of what to create and how to do so since my experimental design is due very soon. Thanks I really appreciate any help whatsoever.
Alexander96

Postby Alexander96 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Can anyone help me please?
Alexander96

Postby Craig_Bridge » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 am

It looks like one of the moderators split this into a separate topic for you.

If "wireless power transmission" means "Wireless Radio Frequency Power Transmission", you have a problem with distance losses.

Devices such as microwave ovens solve the distance energy loss problem by creating a resonant cavity where you trap the RF energy.

If you are trying to transmit RF energy for long distances through the air or space, highly directional transmitting anteneas can be used to concentrate the energy transmission pattern so that it is more intense in some directions. In any case, the energy losses are typically square law. Practical uses of RF transmission over distances are typically for communication and not for energy transfer.

Solar power is a good example of a case where a huge energy source radiates energy that can be captured remotely using reflectors to concentrate the heat and warm or cook things or via photo electric cells to generate electrical current. This transmission is definitely inefficient; however, given that the energy source large and relatively constant, it is "free" energy.
-Craig
Craig_Bridge
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science