Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators
The equation to find stress is force/area . Stress can be measured as Pascals. I don't know if i should do any convertions. From mm to meters. From Grams to kilograms?
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:37 pm
- Occupation: Student
- Project Question: How does chemical lighting hair treatments affect the elasticity of hair?
- Project Due Date: 11/20/12
- Project Status: I am just starting
Thank you for your question. Unit agreement is very important when making calculations. A pascal (Pa) is the SI unit for pressure or stress. So force, measured in newtons (N), would be kilogram meters per second per second (kg*m/s^2) and area would be in square meters (m^2). So a pascal would be (kg/(m*s^2)).
So, the short answer is yes...you need to ensure you convert any measurements to these units.
Hope this helps.
Science Buddies science fair guide:
Science Buddies project ideas:
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm
- Occupation: US Air Force Space & Missile Operations
- Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
- Project Due Date: N/A
- Project Status: Not applicable
Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest