Electro Dialysis

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Electro Dialysis

Postby aracelynavarro77 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 am

As a science project, my partners and I are conducting electro dialysis in order to desalinate sea water. This process already exists, but we are trying to build a machine that will run on solar power. The problem is figuring out how much power is required for electro dialysis so that we can plan the utilization of solar panels accordingly. Can anybody help us please?
aracelynavarro77

Project Question: I would like to figure out a way to lower salt levels in ocean water for example. I was considering somehow clumping the salt within the water. Are there any ways to safely charge the salt molecules without affecting the water too much?
Project Due Date: 10/30/12
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Electro Dialysis

Postby wendellwiggins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:15 am

Hello aracelynavarro77,

The amount of solar energy you need depnds mainly on how much water you want to purify and how concentrated the salt is. A useful discussion of electrodialysis is at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrodialysis, including an equation for computing efficiency.

Good luck, WW
wendellwiggins
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science