Data Analysis

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Data Analysis

Postby sciencedorkk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi Everyone!
I am in the midst of the research phase and have to do a rough draft of the data analysis by next Monday (12/3/12). Honestly, I don't know where to start. My biggest problem is that my partners and I have not done the actual experiment yet so we are not quite sure what steps we will take to collect our data. Since we are only in the research phase, we haven't actually begun experimenting. But we have to have this done by next week, so we are in quite the dilemma. We are only in 10th grade and don't fully understand high school science fairs. :oops:
Advice is much appreciated. :D

Our experiment:
The Measure of Luminescence on Glow in the Dark Objects.
sciencedorkk

Project Question: Data Analysis: How do we start?
Project Due Date: Project due: February
Data Analysis due: 12/3
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Data Analysis

Postby dcnick96 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Hello, and welcome to Science Buddies!

When doing an experiment, it is never too early to think about data collection and analysis. I do statistical analysis and deal with this problem on a weekly basis. If you don't think about data collection and analysis during your research phase, you could design the perfect experiment with no feasible means to collect a/o analyze data. I've seen it happen!

You are correct that you won't have the actual data; but before you start your experiment, you should have a data collection and analysis plan. This plan (and what you can turn in Monday) should consist of:
1. What data are you planning to collect? This should be data tied to your dependent variable that will help you test your hypothesis.
2. What methods will you use to collect the data? Are you using instruments, a questionnaire, ???
3. How will you analyze the data? For example, are you comparing averages of something? If there are mathematical equations involved, it never hurts to include them in terms of your experiment.
4. How do you intend on presenting your data? Graphs, data tables, ??? After all, collecting a lot of data is useless unless you can present the results in a way that people can understand.

As you go through this process, you may find difficulties in collecting and/or analyzing your data. In that case, you will need to modify your experiment. The purpose of submitting your plan now is to ensure you have thought through this and ensure your experiment is doable before you potentially waste time, money, and effort for nothing.

I hope this helps. Be sure to write back with additional questions.
Good luck!
Deana
dcnick96

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science