looking for mentor w/ experience in magnets, coils or quartz

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

looking for mentor w/ experience in magnets, coils or quartz

Postby elinxie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 pm

My brother, my friend and I are looking for a mentor with experience with electricity generation from magnets and coils and/or quartz. If you can help, please contact me at .... Thank you.

[Moderator note: contact information removed; contact information is not allowed in the forums for the safety of all users.]
elinxie

Project Question: Are there any lab facilities available in the bay area where I, a student, can work on a system generating 110 amps of current? Also, are their any scientists or engineers that can help me with designing the details of this system and supervise me with the fabrication of this system? The due date is just the date where I would need permission to use the facility and the help of the scientist/engineer. I need to postmark forms for a science fair by this date.
Project Due Date: 8/30/12
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: looking for mentor w/ experience in magnets, coils or qu

Postby edneu3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Those of us here on the Ask and Expert cite have a wide range of expertise. We are glad to help with a very wide range of questions. But you will have to ask one first.

The world of electricity generation can be a lot of fun, and present you with a lot of challenges. What do you need help with related to electricity generation?
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
edneu3
Expert

Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: looking for mentor w/ experience in magnets, coils or qu

Postby rmarz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:41 pm

elinxie - As Ed said we can only really help when we know more of what you are doing and what issues you have with that experiment. I did notice in your bio information that your project may have as a goal generating power at a level of 110 amps. Doesn't say what voltage or whether you are going to generate AC or DC. The figure of 110 amps is curious (a very large amount of current). Might you mean generating 110 volts AC? Also, you asked for help in either electromagnetic or piezoelectric (quartz) sources. Fundamentally, piezoelectric generators are very high internal impedence devices and tend to be very high voltage sources at very low currents. You will never attain even a small fraction of an ampere with a massive quartz crystal.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science