Construction of A Fuel Cell

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Construction of A Fuel Cell

Postby Zaniarah » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Good day sir/madam,
I hope you are having a fine day. I'm writing in relation to my chemistry project: Construction of a Fuel Cell. The topic is clearly stated but with no specifications or guidelines. I have no way of knowing what the teacher wants until school starts on January 5th which I would consider too late. I go to a boarding school which makes some things like internet, free time, etc almost impossible to access. So, I need to finish everything before then. Luckily, all I need is the theoretical aspect. But, I have no idea what type of fuel cell the teacher might have in mind and if he might want me to explain the actual construction of a fuel cell or merely just explain how it works. I have succeeded in explaining how it works but I haven't written anything concerning the actual construction. I have visited many websites involving construction, but they aren't really helpful enough. I am truly lost right now. Please could you give me an idea of the fuel cell I could write about. We won't have a 'fuel cell kit' like most websites suggest, so, can you help me find a site that would list out the exact materials needed and a very detailed construction process. Thank you for your time. I truly appreciate it. I look forward to receiving a response quickly.
Yours faithfully,
Zaniarah
Zaniarah

Project Question: Construction of a Fuel Cell
Project Due Date: Theoretical aspect: 5th, January, 2013. Practical aspect: February/March
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Construction of A Fuel Cell

Postby theborg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Zaniarah,

Thank you for your question. Welcome to Science Buddies. As you've found, there are many on-line resources concerning Fuel Cells. Science Buddies has a Fuel Cell project at the following link:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

It assums you are using a kit, but under the proceedures section, it gives fairly detailed instructions on how to construct that kit so that even if you didn't have the kit available you may be able to get a good idea of how a fuel cell should be put together (it even has some pictures). Hopefully it can provide enough detail to help you with your research. Additionally, it includes some additional resources in the background section that may help further.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Construction of A Fuel Cell

Postby Zaniarah » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:35 am

Good day,
Thank you so much for replying. I actually did look up the science buddies page on the fuel cell before you mentioned it. It was actually helpful. But, I still have the problem with the fuel cell kit. Can you break down what this kit might consist of so I can try and be a bit more detailed in my essay. Also, I don't think I'll be able to find a fuel cell kit where I live. Although I know my teacher will provide the materials when the time comes, I can't just write "The materials will be provided by my teacher", if you understand what I mean. So, I need to be a bit more precise. Please help me. Thank you for your time. Thank you for everything!
Yours sincerely,
Zaniarah
Zaniarah

Project Question: Construction of a Fuel Cell
Project Due Date: Theoretical aspect: 5th, January, 2013. Practical aspect: February/March
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science