Water to Fuel to Water

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Water to Fuel to Water

Postby albert123 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 am

Hi, in the project "Water to Fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future", we try to find out how the catalyst formed from cobalt ions (obtained by dissolving cobalt nitrate) in a phosphate buffered solution will affect water splitting. In the “Variations” section, they suggest trying different metal salt compounds, such as ones containing nickel, iron or manganese, and using them to make catalysts with different metals. Can you tell us what exactly these salts are and where we can get them? Also, can you suggest other additional things that we can do?

Thanks,
Albert
albert123

Project Question: For "Water to Fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future", we study the catalyst formed from cobalt ions in a phosphate buffered solution. In the “Variations” section, they suggest trying different metal salt compounds, such as ones containing nickel, iron or manganese, and using them to make catalysts with different metals. Can you tell us what exactly these salts are and where we can get them? Also, can you suggest other additional things that we can do?
Thanks,
Albert
Project Due Date: March 10, 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Water to Fuel to Water

Postby edneu3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Metallic salts can be obtained at a local company that carries scientific supplies. You should look in you local yellow pages, or do an on-line search.

Another good place to go for help would be your local high school's chemistry teacher. They are marvelous resources and often have materials available that you can use.

Good luck and have fun!
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
edneu3
Expert

Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Water to Fuel to Water

Postby billeykamp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 am

A very interesting and hot topic. This is far from my area of expertise, but I hope this might lead you somewhere.

The current "hot guy" in this field is Daniel G Nocera, who just moved from MIT to Harvard. Look him up on Wikipedia, and follow some of the links they give which may lead you to some useful answers. I hope!
billeykamp

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science